The Patapsco state park's Avalon area sits right between Elkridge and Ellicott City and is my favorite place to hike in Maryland. It is one of the few places where in a short 5 mile hike you can see, rivers, waterfalls, Old ruins of factories and scenic overlooks. Definitely an awesome place to see and a great way to get to hang out with your fellow Jaycees. Of course, after any good hike is a grill! anyone who wants to can stick around and we can do a BBQ in the park.
This is about a 5 mile hike total with trails for everyone to enjoy. Everything from paved walkways to steep uphills to stream crossings over rocks. Any type of athletic shoe will be fine but keep in mind that, depending on the weather the week before, the trails get muddy and slippery.
There is a $3 fee per person to get in to the park.
- Take I-97 North
- Take I-695 West (Inner loop, Baltimore Beltway)
- Take exit 7a to 295 south
- Take exit to I195 west Towards Catonsville
- take exit 3 to Rt. 1 toward Elkridge
- Follow Rt. 1 South about 3 miles
- Turn right on South St.
- Park entrance is on the left.
- Once you enter the park, continue straight down the fairly long road. There will be a guard shack after about a half mile where you will pay to enter. Continue down the road until it ends at Gunn Rd.
- turn left on Gunn Road.
- Make your next immediate right (River Rd.) and follow it for about 2 miles until it ends at the large parking area.