Abstract: Have you been wondering what Azure SQL Database is and what it means for you as a production DBA? Azure SQL Database has become an Enterprise-worthy database platform that provides relational database-as-a-service. In this session you’ll get a grounding in the fundamentals of Azure SQL Database from a DBA perspective. First we’ll cover how to create an Azure SQL Database using the Azure Portal and an approach for sizing a new Azure SQL Database. Then we’ll cover some of the similarities and differences between on premises SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. Finally we will cover how monitoring and performance tuning Azure SQL Database differs from on premises SQL Server. If you’ve been considering Azure SQL Database for your organization, this session is for you!
Speaker Bio: Tim Radney, Principal Consultant
Tim Radney is a SQL Server MVP. He has presented at PASS, SQLintersection, SQL Saturdays, user groups and numerous webinars. In addition Tim runs the Columbus GA SQL Users Group, is a PASS Regional Mentor and was named a PASS Outstanding Volunteer in 2012. He’s married with three children and has a passion for electronics. He also farms chickens (for eggs), dwarf Nigerian goats, and tilapias in his spare time.
• 4:30-4:45pm: Sign-in & network
• 4:45-5:00pm: Announcements & Intro
• 5:00-6:00pm: Presentation
• 6:00-6:15pm Q&A, wrap-up, clean-up
- Garage parking is $1.50 per 30 minutes or $12 for 4 hours or more. They accept cash, check, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover. They do not accept American Express.
- There are parking meters in front of the building. The cost is 25¢ per 10 minutes, and may be paid in increments of 80 minutes at a time.
- There are light rail and bus stops at S Mill Ave and 3rd Street. After arriving at the stop, walk north on S Mill Ave for two short blocks. Microsoft is on the NE corner of S Mill Ave and E Rio Salado Pkwy in the Hayden Ferry Lakeside building. For further information and direction, please visit http://www.valleymetro.org
- We are approximately a ¼ mile walk from Tempe Beach Park (http://bit.ly/2fmJwhx), where there is limited FREE parking (parking lot is at 250 W Rio Salado Pkwy, Tempe, AZ 85281).
- Alternate FREE parking location when Tempe Beach Parking Lot is closed for special events is parking at Tempe Center for the Arts (http://bit.ly/2eESlmQ) (700 W Rio Salado Parkway, Tempe, AZ 85281).