Needs a location
The Arizona Wilderness Coalition in collaboration with the Friends of the Verde River is excited to announce a special hands-on experience that will introduce you to the concept of wilderness stewardship. Join us for this two-day event in Prescott National Forest’s beautiful Cedar Bench Wilderness.
You will learn about and discuss:
• topics surrounding the history and laws governing Wilderness
• the seven leave no trace principles
• how to properly identify problems areas and execute maintenance
• becoming a volunteer
• and much more!
This training course is exactly what you need to help grow your skill set and understand the value and importance of stewardship of Arizona’s Wilderness and Wild and Scenic Rivers.
Come prepared for both classroom discussion and hands-on training as you spend a night under the stars putting your new skills into practice.
Before registering for this training, please be sure to read and understand the following documents linked below.
• Prescott National Forest Adopt-A-Trail Manual (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd517225.pdf)
• Forest Service Volunteer Handbook (https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/htmlpubs/htm09672813/)
• Hazardous Communications Training (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd518930.pdf)
• Blood Borne Pathogens Training (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd518929.pdf)
• Prescott National Forest Adopt-A-Trail Job Hazard Analysis (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd537314.pdf)
We will be car camping on Saturday night.
• Day pack to carry supplies throughout the day
• Water (2 – 4 liters per day)
• Food (breakfast & lunch each day, AWC will provide a dinner Saturday night)
• Sturdy, closed-toe shoes, NO SANDALS. Under our volunteer agreement with the Forest Service, you must wear closed-toe shoes or you will not be able to join us.
• Appropriate clothing, with warm layers for the evening.
• Sun protection (sun screen, sunglasses, hat, etc.)
• Camping equipment (sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent/shelter, flashlight/headlamp & batteries, plate/bowl, eating utensils, toiletries, first aid kit, etc.)
• Hiking pole(s) or stick
DIRECTIONS TO LOCATION
The exact location and meeting time of this training in the Cedar Bench Wilderness is to be determined, please check back for directions to the meeting location and time.
Carpooling will be available from Prescott, so let us know if you need a ride.
For a weather forecast for the approximate region of this event, visit the following link in the days leading up to the event. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-111.84070497751233&lat=34.44939402686953
If you have any questions about this event, contact Jonathan Patt at [masked].