addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › Custom sidebars for individual pages in WordPress

Custom sidebars for individual pages in WordPress

Sherri K.
soletterra
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 10
Hi - wondering if anyone knows of a plugin, or how I might go about doing the following:

I am pulling in RSS feeds (through Syndicate Press plugin) for various "industry experts" which each have their own page. How might I go about customizing each page's right sidebar with the expert's image, their social media buttons, etc.? Obviously you can use widgets in sidebars, but the sidebar info would be different for each "expert" page. Not sure if this is something that can be done with a plugin, or if it's a custom programming thing.

Any suggestions or direction are appreciated. Thanks!!

Sherri
Chuck R.
ChuckReynolds
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 81
custom. probably just have conditionals in the sidebar based on page slug (expert-name) that display the correct info for them pulling custom fields from that page.

Not really a common thing that you'd find a plugin for but i'm sure there's something that may partially do it but... i don't half ass things.. I'd build it custom.

That said... your expert pages could be CPT (custom post types) and each expert 'post' would include all that data in metaboxes using custom fields...
ooorr... you could tie it into the user profile data if they're experts that have accounts in the WP system...

Idk.. just depends on your site/content setup.
Jerry C.
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 29
It is kinda hacky ... or is that custom? ... but all the themes use Author code from the Author Meta information... depending on which base theme you are using; I would kill the sidebar and build it into the Page Template where you are already selecting just posts from that expert and then display the Author Meta on the side and make the change with css. I guess that's the same thing Chuck is saying for the most part. But ditch creating a new sidebar and seperating everything; I think it would be bettter to just make it all 1 page without a sidebar. But, make sure to give it all the same class in css so that if you want to move it all later you can just change the css to change the whole look of all of the experts. That pretty much accomplishes the whole seperate sidebar benefits.

Just an idea...
Lisa R.
user 10875987
Glendale, AZ
Post #: 11
I'm pretty sure this is a bigger change than you're looking for, but just in case, the Headway Theme for WordPress allows you to have as many sidebars as you want on as many different pages as you want via a drag and drop visual editor.

http://headwaythemes....­

Lisa - :D