addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › Go VPS or something like WPEngine or Page.ly

Go VPS or something like WPEngine or Page.ly

Christopher
user 4015957
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 5
I have a client that I want to ensure has a reliable server. While I don't think they will have a huge amount of traffic on a daily basis their reputation is on the line. They need reliable, well performing, hosting. Chuck Reynolds mentioned Pacific Hosting in a Tweet for VPS. Maybe this is overkill and something like WPEngine of Page.ly is sufficient.

I am just looking for suggestions. I have accounts with Bluehost, Hostgator, and WestHost. They are all fine for basic web sites but I really want to make sure the client is on a well performing system. Good web based email would be a bonus but they could also use something like Google Apps Premier.

I set the expectation of spending $30-$50 a month for something like this.

What is your decision making process on when to move a client to the next level of hosting.

Thanks,
Chris
Chuck R.
ChuckReynolds
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 104
Without stats of what the site draws in lue of traffic and the optimization of the site and its demand on the server that's a hard question to answer.

But in that price rance... linode.com, slicehost.com, pacifichost.com, mediatemple.net, namecheap.com are good VPS's to choose and setup your own distro and lamp stack.

As far as wpengine.com or page.ly or websynthesis.com... up to you as to the features you need and they allow. Some VPS's do managed for that price but the WP hosting places do that inclusive.
Christopher
user 4015957
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 6
Without stats of what the site draws in lue of traffic and the optimization of the site and its demand on the server that's a hard question to answer.

But in that price rance... linode.com, slicehost.com, pacifichost.com, mediatemple.net, namecheap.com are good VPS's to choose and setup your own distro and lamp stack.

As far as wpengine.com or page.ly or websynthesis.com... up to you as to the features you need and they allow. Some VPS's do managed for that price but the WP hosting places do that inclusive.

As always thanks for the advice. My guess is less than 200 unique visitors per day. They will be looking a lot of images and videos but video will be embed YouTube most likely. Client may push some internal databases out to the web so I thought a VPS might good for this. Main thing is to avoid being number 999/1000 on a shared hosting box.

Thanks!
Chuck R.
ChuckReynolds
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 105
well with that you don't even NEED a VPS per say but it never hurts to keep it that way. Just choose a good host. For something like that even a shared would probably be fine at a good host. Biggest difference being you have to install all the stuff and maintain it on the vps versus shared all the packages are setup. My recommendation would be to NOT get Plesk. There are always permission issues with WP (that can be overcome, but are a pain to deal with) and plesk eats ram like no other. If you have a vps I wouldn't do a control panel, or do one of the free opensource ones that are light.

Anyways. good luck.
Christopher
user 4015957
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 7
well with that you don't even NEED a VPS per say but it never hurts to keep it that way. Just choose a good host. For something like that even a shared would probably be fine at a good host. Biggest difference being you have to install all the stuff and maintain it on the vps versus shared all the packages are setup. My recommendation would be to NOT get Plesk. There are always permission issues with WP (that can be overcome, but are a pain to deal with) and plesk eats ram like no other. If you have a vps I wouldn't do a control panel, or do one of the free opensource ones that are light.

Anyways. good luck.

Yeah I hate Plesk. I may go with a company that also offers VPS so if we need to scale we can. It's been a while but I am pretty sure I could get everything setup on a vanilla box.

Thanks!