addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › Blank Theme Development

Blank Theme Development

Robert R.
labphx
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 1
Hey All,
I'm fairly new to this group and would first like to say hi, and ask for some input.

I am a designer/WP developer that specializes in custom Wordpress themes for small and medium size businesses. I have always used either my own custom "blank theme" or Bones as a starting point. Recently a friend and I have started putting together our own responsive blank theme with features and practices we find useful in starting a typical project such as 1140 Grid, Less, Normalizer, Modernizr & responsive Media Queries to mention a few. All will be minimally styled so as to speed up the customization of template elements and CSS.

What I wanted to ask the group is if you build custom WP templates what functions would you like to see in a responsive blank theme, or a blank theme in general that you would find useful? I'm toying with building in a basic slider function based on Nivo, a simple gallery function, or other things along those lines. The idea is that, not all but a lot of clients ask for these functions and if I could have them pre-built but un-styled it would save me a ton of time in development. Of course not everything could be re-used but if even a third of it could it could save a lot of time.

I really appreciate any feedback you have and look forward to your comments!

- Bobee
Chuck R.
ChuckReynolds
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 123
typically build off of _S (underscores) anymore. Has all the stuff we need http://underscores.me...­

Don't need sliders... hate them. WP has a built in gallery and most times never used. I like _S because it's not bloated... great starting point. But there's always room for base themes with some bolt-ons.
Kyle T.
KyleTheisen
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 8
As Chuck said, _S is a good theme to build off of. The one that I prefer is Roots Theme. It's based off of HTML5 Boilerplate and Twitter Bootstrap. It's setup a little different than your typical theme so there is a slight learning curve, but there are great reasons behind the differences.
Robert R.
labphx
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 2
Thanks for the input Chuck!

Funny how you think you're aware of almost all of the good resources and someone mentions another one. _S looks pretty solid at a glance, thanks for that.

Good point in regards to the slider, well not the hatred of them (although conversion analysts will probably agree), but more in regards to the fact that they might be too specific functionally.

There are definitely quite a few "blank themes" out there but for me this blank theme for me has two purposes, one to serve as a functional starting point for my client work but also to give me an exercise that keeps me on top of best practices in the front-end development/design world and also Wordpress. When it's nailed down to the degree I'm comfortable with I'll make it available for anyone who wants to use it or contribute feedback too.
Robert R.
labphx
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 3
As Chuck said, _S is a good theme to build off of. The one that I prefer is Roots Theme. It's based off of HTML5 Boilerplate and Twitter Bootstrap. It's setup a little different than your typical theme so there is a slight learning curve, but there are great reasons behind the differences.

Roots is definitely a good one along with Bones & Starkers. Those three are generally where I initially began exploring the need for a "blank theme" to begin with.

I really like Roots Activation function. That will be something added to the list for sure.

Thanks Kyle!