The Montreal AI Ethics Institute and Microsoft are joining forces to discuss the future of education with a particular focus on how AI advances are going to impact that.
With the rapid rise of AI impacting various aspects of our everyday lives, it will become inevitable that skills that we impart in the educational system today will become irrelevant and will need a major overhaul to better prepare the next generation for a world where automation will be everywhere and lifespanning careers will be a thing of the past.
This session will take a critical, deep-dive into what this means and will explore this through the following reading material with an objective to produce a short article summarizing the views from our discussions.
Guiding questions for the session:
NOTE: This session will be different from the previous meetups that we've hosted in the sense that we will continue to build on the work that we've done in the previous meetup. As you walk into the venue, you will be able to choose a sub-theme within this topic and will go into a group that will answer specific questions for that theme. The themes and their questions will be made available by Nov 6 (an email reminder will be sent for that).
NOTE: This event is open to people who didn't get a chance to attend the first meetup.
0) [Article link will be added and email will be sent] Summary from the previous meetup (https://www.meetup.com/Artificial-Intelligence-Ethics/events/254514478/)
1) The Role of AI in Education and vice-versa https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/artificial-intelligence/the-role-of-education-in-ai-and-vice-versa?cid=soc-app
2) Exploring the impact of AI on teaching and learning in higher education https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s41039-017-0062-8
3) Adapting education to the demands of a rapidly changing economy https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/social-sector/our-insights/adapting-education-to-the-demands-of-a-rapidly-changing-economy-an-interview-with-chancellor-eloy-ortiz-oakley?cid=soc-app
4) Getting ready for the future of work: https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/organization/our-insights/getting-ready-for-the-future-of-work?cid=soc-app
NOTE : Please join Slack via http://bit.ly/ai-ethics-signup as we will be actively discussing things there leading up to the session.
6:00-6:15 Registration and networking
6:20-6:25 Break out into groups
6:25-7:20 Group discussion
7:20-7:30 Inter-group discussion (within each theme)
7:30-7:55 Group presentations and debate [3 min. presentation + 4 min cross-questioning by group]
7:55-8:00 Session wrap-up