addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

South Ashevilles Ayurveda Raw /Vegan/Veggie Folk! Message Board › raw lifestyle ashville

raw lifestyle ashville

Tawna
user 12372336
West Palm Beach, FL
Post #: 1
Hello My name is Tawna. My husband and I are considering in the next year to relocate. Ashville is a consideration for us along with a few other places (warmer) however I personally have never really lived anywhere it is cold. I live in south Fl right now and I was curious how hard it is to be raw in the winter and maybe even the fall for me. I am not sure the kind of temperatures you get over there. In our winters (I almost feel embarrassed to even talk about them lol) I drink hot tea but it is typically only around 50-60 F. We are coming for a visit to check it out and also to check the prices of the organic food. How is the cost of living there? Thank you so much for your time!!!!!
Tawna biggrin
Brynda
Mannaplanet
Alexander, NC
Post #: 5
Congrats on changing it up. change is good for the brain, but sometimes lonely for the heart. We welcome lots of newcomers to our area as we are a tourist's town. Closer to downtown, most likely, you will pay more but have great benefits. Out lying areas are popular in the beautiful countryside.
I lived in South Fl. for a few winters, grew up in lowcountry SC, so know that winter here is plenty cold! You may have some mild days, but you need the gloves, hat, scarves and wool clothing most winters. Some nights get to 5 degrees. Most days are 30's and 40's. We have days of ice and snow and driving can be hazardous. They tell us to stay off the roads, but then there are hundreds of fender benders in the area because of ice. Trouble with ice, if you slide off the road, then you go off into a cliff or ditch, most likely. I try to stay home, then, light a fire. Love it!
Food here is great, lots of options. There is a working co-op, but you won't save so much. Our Earthfare stores offer great coupons and sale items. We have lots of CSA's from farms as well. You can't beat Asheville for great alternatives in doctors, healing, food stores, tailgate produce markets, raw folks, art and more art, music, $3 movies at Asheville Brewing, free movies in West Asheville (great and less costly neighborhood.)
About an hour away is Spartanburg, SC, just in case the icy weather scares you off. Greenville, S.C. is much larger and has a Whole Foods, about 1 1/2 hrs away. Weather is not as severe, those places, but it's not Asheville! We'd love to have you join us here!
P.S. we also have great re-sale shops," Amazing savings"can save you grocery money, and several churches offer food for those who ask. Hope to meet you! Brynda, 828-683-9504
A former member
Post #: 4
I came to the Asheville area in 1988, after many many years of living in Miami... and have never looked back. Even a week's trip to SW Fla during last winter's atypical 'winter from hell' (with temps down to 10 degrees and a lot more snow than usual) temptation to reconsider didn't last more than a day or two after returning home. I LOVE Western North Carolina! A couple of winters ago, I put together a website that pays homage to the area: http://ashevillebliss.com­. It's a pretty fast way of checking out much of what there is to love about this area... including many of the inexpensive ways to achieve a high quality of living for free or practically nothing... for Western North Carolina has one of the richest and diversified lifestyle choices ... on par with almost any other place in the world.

Because of the way I shop, utilizing many of the resources mentioned by Brynda, I live a rather luxurious lifestyle for very little... and couldn't do it quite as well anywhere else. One major reason: Asheville has THE most fascinating Goodwill ... probably better than anywhere else in the country... where they sell clothing and 'hard goods' for $1.10 a lb... and books for $.59/lb... and change the several dozen 'bins' of such DAILY! I affectionately call this Goodwill Clearance Center, which is out on West Patton Ave/Smokey Park Highway near Lowes and the DMV, "The Bins". This clearance center/'the bins' is great for people like myself who are 'hunter/gatherers' and love the challenge of sorting through the jumble of items to find the buried treasures. The items come from all of the many Goodwills in Western North Carolina. Because WNC has such an eclectic and diversified mix of people whose tastes run the gamut from pricey designer clothing to vintage bohemian. As a result, I can dress in Chico's, FLAX, Eileen Fisher, and ethic treasures for practically nothing... and send amazing gifts to friends and family. My beds are dressed with expensive cotton sheets and vintage wool Hudson Bay blankets and down comforters. I have an abundance of fluffy cotton towels. My library is overflowing with interesting books. Some come from the above-mentioned 'bins' and others come from the several really good used book stores where I trade books that I've found at the 'bins' for practically nothing but don't interest me for books that do! Because many of the people who live in this area share my tastes in books, I ALWAYS find unexpected treasures and delights.

BTW, there are a number of 'regulars' who show up at this Goodwill on a regular if not daily basis because they have turned it into a business... selling the goods they've found at various venues including flea markets, consignment shops, their own retail store, and eBay. Some people also regularly show up to hunt for interesting material to incorporate into their craft projects: felted bags, pieced quilts, etc.

I love the fact that Asheville has seasons.... partly because of the natural beauty which abounds. People come from all over the country ... and spend a lot of money on fancy hotels and restaurants... just to ski here... and view the 'leaf season'... and visit the Biltmore Estate... and fish in the rushing trout streams... and I get to enjoy it all for 'free' or at a reduced rate!

I happen to think that seasonal changes are good for the body... helping it to 'detox'.

When I first came here, I was more sensitive to the cold than I am today... but that varies with each individual.

I also am not 100% raw. I do think it's easier, physically, to be 100% raw in a place that's warm year round like South Florida or Southern California. However, you can find ways of eating raw that accommodate the cold winters ... especially if you use a dehydrator to 'warm' your 'stir-fried' veggies and raw blended soups and teas a bit. I will defer to those in this community who are 100% raw to elaborate on their experience.

I do congratulate you on your willingness to embrace change... and look forward to 'meeting up' with you when you arrive for your exploratory trip to Asheville... be sure and let me know!

Jacqueline

Tawna
user 12372336
West Palm Beach, FL
Post #: 2
Brynda thank you so much for your reply :) It sounds like you love it there even though the icy roads and cliff does sound a little scary. I don't really know how I would handle the cold but I do tend to adjust to new things really well. I didn't realize it gets down to 5, that is preeeeeeety cold lol. When I was in kindergarden I did live in Oklahoma and I remember there was snow but then again it was when I was in kindergarden so I couldn't say how I did with it. SInce then I have only lived in Az and Fl so I am very much used to the heat. It does get cold in the desert but maybe in the 40's or so which was freezing for us. Thank you so much again for your reply, it was very helpful.
Peace and love,
Tawna

Jacqueline thank you very much for your reply as well :) It has been so long since I have been through seasonal changes and I think it is so beautful!!! I also think that the colder summers make you appreciate the warm summers even more. It gets so hot out here in the summers that most of the time you spend your days inside as it is way too brutal to go out. I am also not 100% raw I am around 80%-100%. I do stay in between that most days. I guess what entices me about Ashville is the beauty, how liberal it is and how artistic it is. It seems to have a small town feel with more amenities. When we go to check it out we are planning to drive and who knows maybe along the way we will see another place that perks our interest. (although it would be hard to imagine something more beautiful) Thank you so much and I am going to check out the link you sent me.
Peace and love,
Tawna