addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Atlanta Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › I am surprised ore freethinkers are not vegetarians.

I am surprised ore freethinkers are not vegetarians.

bobbler
bobbler
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 10
I am surprised ore freethinkers are not vegetarians. Fundies use the bible verse on how animals were put here to be used/eaten, to justify/or turn off their compassion.. What's our excuse to slaughtering other sentient animals? If anyonne cares I can provide easy VEG options..

(1)
Guacamole and beans..

(2) Tempeh (very quick and easy).. I dont think you can grill it though (cook in 1/3 "" water fro a few min..

Ready made meat substitutes are easily available (again not sure how they cook compared to a real (nasty) hot dog..

bobbler
Danny
dbarrs
Roswell, GA
Post #: 16
I think we would find that there are many more vegetarians as a percentage of the atheist population than there are as a percentage of the total population. I can think of very profound philosophical reasons for this......too long to go into here but one reason is that religious people tend to believe in the the salvation of the soul and also tend to believe that animals don't have a soul.

As far as the freethinking population is concerned, I am not so sure the difference would be as marked by comparison with the overall population. Indeed some freethinkers might say that this is not an important criterion in terms of their beliefs. It would be interesting to do a survey.
bobbler
bobbler
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 11
It wouldnt surpiise me at all if the percentage is the same..

I mentioned some variation of vegetarian/compassion on the AFS forum and it actually seemed to piss a few people off (since they seem compeleld to forcefully argue, and announce the meat they eat and love).. I was hoping that freethinkers would be more pro-humane. It seems to me this position would be consistent with enlightened people.

As the cute doll picture said, I eat some meat, but 95 percent of it comes from sources that I know treat the animals humanely.. The only meat I eat these days are eegs and maybe a fish once a month. But I am finding the more I stay away from eating meat, the nastier it seems to eat flesh when I try..

bobbler
A former member
Post #: 10
We are omnivorous creatures, we where naturally selected and endowed with such a capability which is consequentially very difficult to shed because of this very reason. Though I do agree with Danny Barrs on the moralistic philosophical concern of animal welfare and suffering. However I disagree that a more humane view would apply or affect our view towards animals; I mean you would not morally equate an animal life to that of a human one. And for this same regard I find it less moral obligatory to eat a fish than a chicken than cow. To justify my above disagreement I will add that it is not humane moral concerns which need to be attributed to the non-human species (at the least because of the meaning off the word humane), but a transcending moral scope towards suffering and welfare in general.
Aondongu
user 8670589
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 1
I agree with Josue.
A former member
Post #: 2
Most religions do use Bible verses to justify killing animals. However, Seventh Day Adventist have their Bible verse they use to justify why the world should be vegan. I've been vegan for 2 years now for health reasons not religious reasons.
Along the lines of humane treatment, I personally don't find anything humane about ripping the life out of an animal or plant so you can have food. It's just part of natural survival. The only way to treat animals and plants humane is to wait till they die then eat them.
Danny
dbarrs
Roswell, GA
Post #: 17
I am surprised that there is here an attempt to defend the notion of "humane" meat. If we agree that it is not necessary to eat meat, then surely we cannot pretend that it is "humane" to kill other beings so that we can eat them.

My previous comment, which may have been misunderstood, tried to show a distinction between "freethinkers" and atheists on this issue. It was meant to highlight the fact that there are many people who declare themselves "freethinkers" from a libertarian point of view. Sometimes that point of view means that they do not feel any necessity to justify their actions....so eating meat is OK for them because they are doing their own thing.....which is their primary reason for using the "freethinker" label. In contrast, those with the label "atheist" tend to be prepared to base their arguments on wider moral perspective which might more easily accomodate the moral aspects vegetarianism....to be discussed!
Tiffany P.
user 9398768
Marietta, GA
Post #: 12
I don't think there is anything wrong with eating meet. Think about it this way. If you want to defend the rights of living creatures then what about bugs, eating plants, or chopping down trees? If you want to argue that we shouldn't eat animals because we are being inhuman, then you need to apply that to everything. The problem is that we would die. We eat because it is apart of our survival. With that said I have no problem with vegetarians, but don't tell me I am being inhuman because you technically are still eating something that was once living too. This is just my take on the topic though.
A former member
Post #: 7
I mentioned some variation of vegetarian/compassion on the AFS forum and it actually seemed to piss a few people off (since they seem compeleld to forcefully argue, and announce the meat they eat and love).. I was hoping that freethinkers would be more pro-humane. It seems to me this position would be consistent with enlightened people.

bobbler

I don't think being a free thinker automatically makes someone more humane. Nor does eating meat make someone inhumane. Simply as an ideology, I like the notion of becoming a vegetarian, but I doubt I could ever completely switch because I like meat too much. I try to buy free range eggs and some organic food when I can, but it's cost-limiting for many people. I think other factors are at play, and just because someone is a skeptic or freethinker on spiritual matters doesn't necessarily implicate other areas of a person's life.
A former member
Post #: 2
I'm new to the group, so I apologize in advance if I'm improperly resurrecting dead threads here. Just chiming in on topics that interest me.

I don't think there is anything wrong with eating meet. Think about it this way. If you want to defend the rights of living creatures then what about bugs, eating plants, or chopping down trees? If you want to argue that we shouldn't eat animals because we are being inhuman, then you need to apply that to everything. The problem is that we would die. We eat because it is apart of our survival. With that said I have no problem with vegetarians, but don't tell me I am being inhuman because you technically are still eating something that was once living too. This is just my take on the topic though.

This is, essentially, my reaction too. If the issue is the taking of a life, you'd be hard-pressed to maintain a healthy diet of any kind while pursuing that end. I also think the word "sentience" is used a bit loosely by the OP, but that's scratching the surface of a very a different debate.

Someone else already mentioned that our being omnivores is an important aspect of our natural selection, and I think that's an important point to consider in conjunction with the one above. So, ultimately, I take the stance that vegetarianism is not something I would consider to be a built-in trait of freethought. Treating life of any kind more humanely than we currently do is, however, a trait I'd associate with enlightenment.