addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Atlanta Fly Fishing and Camping Meetup Group Message Board › Backpacking trip recommendations

Backpacking trip recommendations

This message board is read-only.

James S
user 9972476
Duluth, GA
Post #: 1
Hi! I'm new to the group, and first time poster. I'm planning on doing a backpacking trip in late October, and wanted to hike into a spot where I can be by a river to do some fly fishing and hopefully keep a few smaller trout for dinner. Was thinking about either Dick's creek or the lower Toccoa river. Does anyone have any recommendations of one over the other? I haven't fished either. Or any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 230
I think the Toccoa at the canoe launch is a good area. Easy access, good fishing and a good jumping off point if it rains, you can go up to Noontootla (@5mi) and hit small water. With this weather I wish I could do a trip like that now. Lets see what others think.
Todd C.
user 33940572
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 3
Yep, the lower Toccoa is a good bet. I also like the Chattooga River in the Burrell's Ford Bridge area. Wherever you go, watch out for bears, they're up & roamin' about this year.
James S
user 9972476
Duluth, GA
Post #: 2
Thanks Todd and Rene! And thanks for mentioning about the bears. Perhaps I should pick up some bear spray just to be safe. Will I need a wading staff in the Toccoa?
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 231
Yes- Get a staff, it isn't a deep stream but you will slide down some slanted rocks, and hit some tricky spots.
Do you have studs? that or felt would be important too.
Todd C.
user 33940572
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 4
I concur. I went for a swim earlier this year just above the canoe put-in on the Toccoa. The rocks are indeed slippery and some of the holes are sufficiently deep to fill the ole' waders pretty quickly. I don't wanna do that again. Be safe out there.
James S
user 9972476
Duluth, GA
Post #: 3
I have felt bottom boots. I'll get a wading staff. I was looking at this one, as the price is right. Unfortunately, it sounds like it won't last me long before I'll need to buy a decent one. The good ones all seem ridiculously overpriced. I'd make my own before I'd spend $100+ on a piece of aluminum and elastic. :)

Is this the canoe launch you were mentioning? http://www.blueridgem...­

I was thinking of the swinging bridge on the toccoa, but maybe that will be too busy for my taste, and don't know how wade-able it is, or if the fishing is any good. Looking for something that's not too busy.

I'm really impressed with how responsive this forum is! You guys are the best. :)
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 232
$100 IS a lot to spend on a staff and if you have a method of making one, that may be even better. I have a $100 version and have been in situation where if I have spent the extra $30 or so, I would have been much happier. The less expensive ones tend to; wabble in a fast current which gives you an unsafe feeling when we need it the most. The elastic cord will freeze and then the sections will seperate if you stick it in the mud and try to pull it out....then it will not go back together, and last the cheep staffs will have a cheap tip. That's my two bits on the subject, but what ever way you go you are doing the right thing by getting a staff, they have saved me from swimming MANY times.
James S
user 9972476
Duluth, GA
Post #: 4
Well, drat. Apparently I've chosen the first weekend of Deer hunting season for my backpacking / fly fishing trip. I was planning on going to the the Toccoa river swinging bridge on Oct 19/20, but I don't want to go there if it's going to be packed. My brother already has his plane ticket booked, so I can't really change the dates now.

I wanted a remote camping site along a trout stream that would be a few mile hike to get to. Blue Ridge WMA doesn't open for deer hunting yet, so maybe there's a place on Rock Creek we can hike to? Any other suggestions?