addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Atlanta Fly Fishing and Camping Meetup Group Message Board › Leaders and the 'RULES"

Leaders and the 'RULES"

This message board is read-only.

Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 66
No this is not a history lesson.

This is to tell you the 'rules' that fly fishers go by when selecting a Leader and tippet for their fly.

The subject was brought about by Justin when he said Raffe was telling him what size tippet he used, and said for example;

Justin looked at his spools of tippets and only recognized the 5X or 3X.

How do they relate?

THE RULE OF 11

TO DETERMINE THE diameter OF THE THE LEADER; USE .011 = 0X

IF THE LEADER IS A .007, DEDUCT THE 7 FROM 11 AND YOU HAVE THE 4x leader

Rule of 11: .011-.007= 4x .011-.005= 6x etc.

Now put that to use with to determine the 'POUND BREAKING SRENGTH OF THE 'X' TIPPET

THE RULE OF 9

TO DETERMINE THE POUND BREAKING STRENGTH OF A 5X TIPPET; DEDUCT THE X FROM 9.

ie. 9-5x= 4 pound test

9-1x= 8 pound test

9-6x= 3 pound test

now what you ask?

THE RULE OF 4 (DIVIDE THE SIZE OF THE HOOK BY 4 TO DETERMINE THE SIZE TIPPET TO USE, ie. WHAT 'X' TO USE)

If you have a fly that resists the wind you may want to use a heavier tippet.

YOU WANT TO MATCH THE LEADER TO THE FLY SO YOU CAN GET A SMOOTH TURN OVER OF THE LINE.

IF YOU HAVE TOO LIGHT A TIPPET IT WILL NOT SEND THE LOOP DOWN THE LINE TO THE FLY AND THE LOOP WILL COLLAPSE.

SO IF YOU HAVE A SIZE 12 FLY USE AT LEAST A SIZE 3X TIPPET TO MAKE A SMOOTH TRANSITION.

RULE OF 4

SIZE 18 FLY---SIZE 4X OR 5X TIPPET

SIZE 12 FLY--3X TIPPET

SIZE 8 FLY- SIZE 2X TIPPET

SIZE 6 FLY- 1x or 2X

YOU GET THE IDEA.

REMEMBER TO USE A KNOT WITH MORE TURNS IN IT IF YOU USE fluorocarbon LINE.

IF YOU ARE IN DARK OR FAST WATER YOU CAN USE A HEAVIER TIPPET THAN SLOW OR CLEAR WATER.

TRY TO MATCH THE LEADER TO THE SIZE OF THE FLY AND YOUR FISHING WILL BE MUCH MORE PLEASURABLE.

THERE IS A 'EASY' FORMULA FOR LEADERS WHICH IS '60-20-20'
AND THAT IS TO SAY USE 60% AS THE BUTT SECTION, 20% AS THE TAPER, AND 20% AS THE TIPPET.

THERE ARE MANY VARIATIONS TO WORK OFF OF THAT, AND YOU CAN USE THAT TO START FROM TO MAKE A GOOD LEADER.

SSSPP!

RENE
Justin
dryfly777
Old Lyme, CT
Post #: 66
AWESOME POST!!!!
Rami
user 6159744
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 1
Thanks Rene! This is good info! I think I actually learned somethinhg. Now all I have to do is remember this.
Trout Bum M.
user 6499149
Norcross, GA
Post #: 11
Mad Excellent! Thanks for posting this!
A former member
Post #: 12
Thanks Rene That really helped me out on the type of tippet to use,and how to match the fly
Joey W.
user 7201166
Calhoun, GA
Post #: 1
i need a cheat sheet!
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 68
i need a cheat sheet!

Funny you said that.......
When I was getting ready for my instructors certification, a cheat sheet is exactly what I had. I use a daytimer at work and I put this and other information on the 'page marker' so every day I would test my self and memorize it.

Then I used little mental games to remember the Rules;

Rule of 9's- To get the 'pound' test of an x-----
'I always wanted to catch a 9 pounder'

Rule of 4's- To get the size of tippet for the hook.
' what size hook is this tippet 4?"
Divide hook size by 4- get it? I have a simple mind so it helped.

Rule of 11- once I got the rule of 9's I didn't have to make up anything to remember
this because it was the only other rule left, and it had to do with diameter
and the X factor.

Just like mussel memory for your casting, this is just a matter of deciding your going to learn it, and you will.
m-torrente
user 7483489
Marietta, GA
Post #: 5
I've had some trouble getting the line to lay fully out when
casting larger flies like poppers and large streamers. Is this
due to my leader? If I'm using a 6 or 7 weight line for Stripers
or monster trout, where should I start my leader diameter wise?
Thanks in advance.
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 98
I've had some trouble getting the line to lay fully out when
casting larger flies like poppers and large streamers. Is this
due to my leader? If I'm using a 6 or 7 weight line for Stripers
or monster trout, where should I start my leader diameter wise?
Thanks in advance.

Good and complex question.
Let us assume the cast is not the issue and we are down to the leader and fly.
Using the hevier fly or bulky fly will call for a shorter 5-7ft leader generaly unless your going to beef up the diamiter and stiffness that you use.
Rule of thumb, the diamiter of the butt section of the leader is 2/3rds the diamiter of the fly line tip.

The formula I use is 60% butt (the 2/3rds dia. part) and then a few sections of taper down to the tippet.

So with that said. I use a 45lb butt section (3ft) and then taper to a 35lb(@24inches) then a 25lb (@15 inches) connected to a 20lb (10 inches) and then a tippet of 10 lb (12 inches).

I use a double over hand surgen knot to connect them.

Taking the time to get the right combination for each fly is often difficult to do when the fish are waiting for you, but it is really worth the time when you get the lay out right.

I'll get more specific on the flexability of the leader if need be. But i've got to get back to work right now.

cheers
Rene
m-torrente
user 7483489
Marietta, GA
Post #: 7
Rene,
OK, I made up a few leaders like you mention above with a 12# tippet and I must say
they laid out real nice. The problem I have now is that I've been broken off at the point
of hook-up 3 times on two different outings. Probably a very large Striper, what should I do?
Go to 20#? Shock tippet?