- This event is sponsored by the Atlanta European Science Café and is hosted by the Consulate General of Switzerland in Atlanta.
- It is free and open to the public and RSVPs are not required to attend.
- Seating will be on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Doors open at 5:30 pm.
- Light refreshments will be served.
- Complimentary 4-hour parking in the Colony Square Parking deck is offered after 5 pm with your validated parking ticket.
Screening - The Substance: Albert Hofmann's LSD - Atlanta European Science Café
Hosted by the Consulate General of Switzerland in Atlanta
from the movie poster for "The Substance: Albert Hofmann's LSD"
In 1943, at the Sandoz chemical-pharmaceutical laboratories in Basel, Switzerland, chemist Albert Hofmann, in search of a respiratory and circulatory stimulant, first synthesized LSD.
Swiss writer-director Martin Witz's "The Substance: Albert Hofmann's LSD" is an informative and entertaining investigation into the history of a drug so potent that mere fractions of a milligram can alter a subject's perception of reality.
Viewers learn how Hofmann's discovery became the subject of 1950's Cold War experiments by the American military and the CIA, who saw LSD as a potential weapon. Meanwhile, international psychiatrists and consciousness researchers tried to unlock the drug's medicinal possibilities, wondering whether it might be an effective tool for contemporary psychiatry or neuroscience.
- Icarus Films (http://homevideo.icarusfilms.com/new2012/sub.html)
Karen Rommelfanger, PhD
Neuroethics Program Director, Center for Ethics
Assistant Professor, Departments of Neurology and Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Paul Boshears, PhD Candidate
Europäische Universität für Interdisziplinäre Studien, Saas Fee, Switzerland
The Atlanta European Science Café is sponsored by
• British Consulate General in Atlanta
• Consulate General of France in Atlanta
• Alliance Française d'Atlanta
• Goethe-Zentrum Atlanta
• German Consulate General Atlanta
• Consulate General of Switzerland in Atlanta
• Consulate General of Ireland Atlanta
• Consulate General of Belgium in Atlanta
and organized with the assistance of the Atlanta Science Tavern.