addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

(ATAMOS) Atlanta Tennis and maybe other stuff Message Board › THE OFFICAL SINGLES TOURNMENT IS COMING!!! SIGN UP NOW!

THE OFFICAL SINGLES TOURNMENT IS COMING!!! SIGN UP NOW!

Chris
user 10911920
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 2
Yesterday, everyone seemed very enthusiastic about having a multi-week singles tournament. Something great for those who don't exactly specialize in doubles (of course I'm referring to myself) and offers a change of pace for those who are regulars at the meet-up group, but never get a chance to play a match of singles. More importantly, it's a great way to get to know everyone from the group on a more individual and interpersonal basis.

The structure of the tournament will be a fairly straight forward round robin tournament (everyone will be matched up with each participant on a pre-determined schedule). But here's a twist, instead of awarding points by winning matches, your point total will be the amount of total games won each match. This way, matches aren't all or nothing and players have both, a generous award for a strong effort after losing an epic match, as well more incentive to tough it out, and walk away with something after a despairing loss.
This works very simple: you win the first match 6-4, 6-4, you have 12 points, your opponents earns 8 points for that match. Who ever has the most at the end of the tournament is #1! And will receive a handsome reward of endless praise and high-fives!

Also, depending on the success of this tournament and with enough competitive spirit and time; we can follow up with a US open-like finals tourney. A weekend long single elimination tournament comprising of the top 8 highest scores, beginning at the quarter finals.

Here are the requirements to sign up:

#1 Flexible schedule
It's very important that you and your opponent find at least one day out of the week to play a match during the span of the tournament. Depending on how many sign-up; the tournament will last approx. from early October to early November. If there is a week in which you know you'll be absent (out of town, vacation, ect.) PLEASE STATE THE SPECIFIC WEEK DURING SIGN UP.

#2 Must be committed to the tournament from beginning to end
As much of a great as it is to have a fun, flexible, and free tournament. It's not very enjoyable when players... Fail to plan for each weekly match, become late on match due dates, or drop out completely because of disinterest. If you plan on signing up, please do so with mindset that you are actually able to place the needed time aside to complete your matches each week. Also, if you are a "guest" for a certain week, you need to accommodate to the home court of your opponent. And home court players are responsible for any court fees/fresh balls to play with.

#3 Must have a good attitude
This is a competition, but it is foremost a fun competition, so have fun and make friends!

Okay, so all I will need is a few (but vital) pieces of information to start setting up brackets....

1)Full name
2)Location (are you willing to travel a reasonable distance to play if it's not a home match?)
3)Time Restraints/Preferences (State the days or hours you can't play, as well as times you'd like to play)
4)General Skill level (Beginners: below USTA self-rating 3.0, Intermediate: 3.0-4.5, Advanced: 5+)
5) E-mail address for contact

Here's mine for example:

Chris Smith
Marietta, GA, 30066. (Y)
Can play both weekdays and weekends. Noon or early afternoonish is preferred.
Intermediate
smithcm@uga.edu

Alright, that's it. If you plan on signing up, PLEASE SIGN UP ASAP! Signs ups are due Oct. 1st. And late sign ups end Oct. 8th. Brackets will be emailed by Sunday, Oct 10th. Week one will kick off Oct. 10th and the first matches will be due (as with each match throughout the tournament) the following Sunday.
If you have ANY questions or concerns regarding the tournament, you can post here or email me at smithcm@uga.edu.

Jason
xxxxxxxx
Group Organizer
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 161
Jason /Slicemaster
Woodstock, Ga (Y)=yes, willing to travel but I also have 4 new courts I can freely reserve.
Just send me a playtime, or play me at one of our ATAMOS meetup events.
Intermediate 3.5 leaning towards 4.0
ATAMOS@live.com