addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Atlanta Business Connection Message Board Archived Discussion › The Crappy Cliche Thread

The Crappy Cliche Thread

A former member
Post #: 84
I've always thought that cliches were reserved for the retarded. But, certain ones stand out, because they are either totally false, or make no sense at all. Here are a few of mine:

Everything happens for a reason.

My ex-girlfriend from my 10th grade year to my 12th grade year could rarely go a day without crapping out this one. What the hell does that mean, everything happens for a reason? Where is the poetic insight? Telling someone, "everything happens for a reason", make as much sense as telling someone, "everything in the present comes from the past".

You never forget your first.

Okay, I say around chick number 3, I had no recollection of the first one.

The Lord will never give you more than you can bear.

By this logic, I can infer that everyone on this planet has died of natural causes. Try explaining this one to Luther Vandross' mom who buried all four of her children and one of her grandchildren.

Post some of your crappy cliches!
A former member
Post #: 89
I want to add two more.

Honesty is the best policy.

Ironically, that's a lie. Honesty is the worst policy. The heart and soul of politics is lying and embellishing. Let me ask you this. Would you tell an employer the truth, which is, you have a B.B.A. from Harvard University? Or would you tell them you have an M.B.A from Harvard if you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that you could get a way with it? Which one would bring more cashola? Let's face it, the only possible side-effect to lying is getting caught. If you can eliminate that aspect you're home free. Just ask OJ! Wait a minute. That cliche doesn't work anymore, either.

People want to be lied to. That's why we have so many religions and denominations of religions and sub-sects of denominations. That's why Grey's Anatomy's Isaiah Washington had to go to 'gender preference therapy'. You should tell people what they want to hear if you want to get what you want in this life. This brings me to my next crappy cliche...

There are no right or wrong answers.

Hmm. The answer that got me the job/promotion/deal/sex is the right one. All other answers are wrong.
A former member
Post #: 15
My favorite is “there are no stupid questions”…YES THERE ARE, and there are lots of them.

The consoling line “it’s not your fault, there was nothing you could have done to prevent this” I have found that there are very few situations where this is used that this is true. Of course there was something you could have done, you could have been more careful, used more common sense, avoided it all together….used a condom.

And this one is for my Grandmom “don’t get you’re a_s up on your back”. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN????

TJ
A former member
Post #: 97
My favorite is “there are no stupid questions”…YES THERE ARE, and there are lots of them.

LOL

This next one has truth, but it is so annoying.

A closed mouth don't get fed.

And this one...

You want your cake and eat it too.

... No, I usually hang my cake on the wall when I get it. Far be it for anyone who would obtain a piece cake to contemplate actually eating it. Why would anybody want to do that?