IMPORTANT UPDATE - TRIPPED CONFIRMED
Great news - We have reached the minimum number of committed people to make this trip a complete reality - so this is now a confirmed trip (no longer just proposed)
In addition we have a significant number of definite maybes looking to boost our overall numbers when it comes to crunch time early next year to make a final decision.
If you're interested to join us on this trip (even if you are maybe) then please put yourself on the RSVP and I will contact you to discuss the next steps.
ONCE IN A LIFETIME ADVENTURE AWAITS
An epic package deal for a MTB/Tourist trip heading to NEPAL in October 2017 (30th Sept-24thOct 2017) to ride the Mustang Province (around the Annapurna Circuit/Pokhara area), explore the Kathmandu Valley, and the Chitwan National Park area over a 22 day tour.
For those contemplating joining us note we are only requiring your expressions of intent at this early stage for planning purposes - payments and final commitment won't be expected till early-mid 2017 which gives you plenty of time to to start saving.
Heres a sample of what we could be riding to whet your appetite
• CORE FITNESS will be the biggest ingredient as we will be riding every day to some degree (there are some non riding days too) so you will want to put some millage training in over the next 12+months. While a good amount of the tour will be downhill orientated there will still be certain sections with an ascent requirement on some days, and we will be at altitude which makes effort harder (requiring you to pace yourself)
• TRAIL CLASSIFICATION:
The tour operator allocates 1 experienced tour guide to every 4-5 riders and considering we currently have the numbers to split the group up into 2-3 subgroups already (maybe more if our numbers grow further) that means we are able to designate different trail grades to different sub groups each day.
This allows us to offer a variety of trail/skill level options on the tour to suit your comfort level - from easy to intermediate right through to advanced+ (so grades 2,3, & 4+). Basically the different sub groups will ride different routes from A-B each day and meet up for lunch and dinners along the way.
• If you are going to take your own bike over (on the airlines as sports equipment - defined as checked in luggage), then the trails will best suit the following bike types -
» All Mountain/Trial/Enduro
» or Freeride bikes.
e.g. full suspension bikes providing more fork travel i.e. [masked]mm, and slacker frame angles (Cross Country bikes would not be suitable for this terrain it seems). You could choose to take a dedicated Downhill bike but considering the ascending sections involved will be quite demanding I'd say you'd end up pushing a lot.
• HIRE BIKES: I've arranged the alternative of renting bikes from the tour operator as it may be more stress free, flexible and efficient. Please refer to the Full Itinerary Document for details on that cost/spec.
• TRIP COSTS: Based on the itinerary and requirements for accomodation and transport etc you should work on $5500-$6000pp for 22 days as a loose indicator - you can see the budgeted cost breakdowns in the Full Itinerary Document
• PREPARATION: You've got 18months to save up and get the time off, and to work on your fitness if need be !
• INSURANCE: We will need to obtain special travel insurance targeted to cover the Alpine MTB activity overseas - this is not negotiable.... everyone will have to get this as most standard travel insurance policies will not cover you properly.
This does not mean you need to have money right now!!
We already have our fully committed core number of people which has secured this trip but we are looking to have the remaining interested parties indicate their intent (whether it be a definite maybe or just a maybe) so we can gauge potential final numbers. Final monetary commitment will be deferred till early 2017 when deposit requirements will force you to decide either way.
Ideally would be looking to secure/pay for flights and other important packages (deposits etc) within the 1st quarter of 2017 (maybe around feb/mar) so we can get the benefit of significant cost savings (e.g. the difference between paying $[masked] more for flights is based on how early you grab them).
So after reading all the above information, you'll pretty much know if you are keen or not.... if you are, then RSVP and start working towards making it a reality if you can.
Hope we have hard core adventurers in our midst :)
New and not sure if you should RSVP? - if anyone is wondering what sort of activities we get up to on these away trips, or just how much fun and socially orientated they truly become, or how diverse the ages, genders, skill and fitness levels are, then you should check out the photo gallery from our last trip to Hawkes Bay. Everyone is welcome, and we'd be happy to have you along.
PS. heres some more videos to convince you that you should say yes to Nepal....
Love hitting the trails on my new 650b - bring it on!
Relatively new to MTBing; keen to discover new trails
Happiest on two wheels
looking to meet great people and ride amazing trials with vino.
Used to ride, still ride sometimes, could be more bike fit!
Hi - looking forward to meeting others and doing some different rides.
Never give up. Never surrender!
Like to ride road or mountain bike
Pedal, pedal, pedal, zoom. Repeat.
into riding at woodhill & similar places , keen as to find new people to ride with