WHAT TO EXPECT
Considered one of the highlights of the New Zealand Cycle Trail, The Timber Trail is fast becoming a must-do ride for riders of all skill and fitness levels. Rated a Grade 2-3, the 85km trail traverses through ancient forests with spectacular scenery complemented by the rich and unique history of the area. It is an unforgettable adventure experience.
A big part of this trail’s appeal are the expansive views offered by the eight large suspension bridges along the trail, the splendour of the forest, and the sounds of birdcalls as you meander across the very remote heart of the North Island. A special feature includes the impressive 141m-long crossing of the Maramataha Stream set 55m above the stream bed – making it the longest suspension bridge open for cycling in the country.
1. We meet at Bennett road car park in Ongarue (end of Timber Trail) at 8:00am on Saturday
2. We and our bikes are shuttled from Ongarue to Pureora to start our ride for day 1.
3. Our luggage and food/beverages are transferred from Ongarue to Camp Epic (half way point on the Timber trail).
4. We ride the first 40km of the Timber Trail from Pureora to Camp Epic.
5. We stay at Camp Epic on Saturday night.
6. On Sunday morning we start the next 42km of the Timber Trail from Camp Epic to Ongarue.
7. Our luggage will be collected and waiting for us when you finish back in Ongarue.
8. We pack up and head back home
ABOUT CAMP EPIC
Camp Epic is a private fully-serviced campground located at Piropiro in Pureora Forest Park. Camp Epic has been designed to enable you to experience the beauty of the surrounding native forest and all it has to offer. Sleep comfortably in our large canvas tents, waking up to a variety of bird song. Cook a meal in our camp kitchen or over the camp fire. Relax and socialize under the uninterrupted starry sky with a drink or toasting marshmallows. Refresh in our hot showers looking out at the stunning native forest. Camp Epic is a comfortable camping destination for those who love the outdoors.
Camp Epic is located right on the Timber Trail near the half way mark, making it the perfect overnight accommodation option for users of the Timber Trail.
Camp Epic Facilities
- 14 fully-serviced large canvas tents with two single beds. Bedding & towels supplied.
- A tent site area for those who wish to bring their own tent and bedding.
- An ablution block with flushing toilets and hot showers.
- An open air camp kitchen and covered dining area. With gas cooktops, bbq and fridge. All cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils provided.
- Camp Epic is self-catered. But we do have a basic help yourself pantry with tea, coffee, condiments, spices, cooking oil, spreads, cereal, milk, etc.
- Centralized camp fire pit area with seating.
NB: We are isolated and off-grid, so our water and power supply is limited.
$175 pp, the package includes 1 nights accommodation, shuttle from Ongarue to Pureora, and your luggage and food transferred to/from Camp Epic.
A $75 deposit is required by the 15th of August 2019 to confirm your RSVP. In the event that you need to cancel I will not be able to return your deposit because it will be paid to Epic Cycle adventures. Will try to negotiate return of deposit but it is not in my hands.
Remainder of payment is due by end of the year.
FRIDAY NIGHT ACCOMMODATION
I would recommend you stay in Taumarunui on the Friday night to avoid a long drive on Saturday morning since we are meeting the shuttles at 8:00am. I am not going to do a group booking for Friday night. We can use the comments to organize shared accommodation among ourselves.