addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Austin Fantasy and Science Fiction (Book) Club Message Board › Summer movies and/or Summer of 82?

Summer movies and/or Summer of 82?

Zach A.
user 23702811
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
Okay, for those who don't know, Alamo Drafthouse is celebrating the 30th anniversary of one of the all-time great summers for genre film by showing restored 35mm analog (thank God) prints on the anniversary of opening weekend. I thought it'd be cool to try to get a group to go to at least one or two (trying to do all or even half of them would get pricey, fast. And we'd all get fat.) The movies most likely to be relevant to our interests are:

Conan the Barbarian (5/11)
Star Trek II (6/3)
Poltergeist (6/1)
The Thing (6/22)
ET (6/8)
Tron (7/6)
The Road Warrior (5/18)
The Secret of NIMH (7/1)
The Last Unicorn (8/25)
The Dark Crystal (7/28)

Blade Runner was on the original list, but lamentably it seems to have fallen off. There's also some horror movies (Halloween III, Friday the 13th III) and some bargain-basement B-movies (Sword and the Sorcerer, Class of 1984, Vice Squad, Q: The Winged Serpent, Escape 2000) and a couple movies that are legitimately good but don't really fit the purview of this club: Rocky III, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Pink Floyd's The Wall. (Okay, that last one's pushing it for 'legit good', but it's worth seeing once.) They WERE offering a limited number of $80 every-movie passes, but those are gone twelve hours after going on sale.

So anyway, we wanna pick a movie or two and try to make it a Thing? I'm not sure how much 'organizing' this will require, but I'd be happy to take the helm. One thing to note is that tickets don't go on sale until 14 days before the show, and if they're only doing one screening of each we're going to need to pick in advance and all try to buy on lunch that day.

Hell, are there any other movies we want to try to do as a group this summer? I'm not really super hyped for any of the big three superhero films this year, but I'm sure others are, and I'm sure there are other genre films we could potentially "do."
Chad P.
user 23019171
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 24
I'm in. I love the Drafthouse. Although I'll admit that Dark Crystal, Last Unicorn, ET were all the source of childhood nightmares and adult personality defects
Peter T.
telckavich
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
Chad I agree. ET gave me a very unhealthy fear of Alien Abduction. Dark Crystal is just fucking amazing though.

I'm in. I love the Drafthouse. Although I'll admit that Dark Crystal, Last Unicorn, ET were all the source of childhood nightmares and adult personality defects

Zach A.
user 23702811
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
Welp, I've got my Avengers ticket for Friday the 4th at 8:35.

As for any Summer of 82 movies, we'll have to discuss that at the meeting or a social, I think.