The next 3 to 40 years will undoubtedly bring unprecedented changes to all aspects of humanity. This group seeks to engage in the serious analysis of what the future might hold - - whether good or bad, a nirvana or an apocalypse - - as driven by new global forces, such as:
• Accelerating changes in numerous fields of technology (nanotech, artificial intelligence, robots, biotech, Moore's law, geo-engineering, military-tech, smart drugs, life extension, etc.)
• Powerful impacts of technologies into many new areas of life and society, both positive and negative
• Stresses and strains of rapidly increasing resource usage, global urbanization, aging populations, underfunded pensions, societal wealth stratification, and governmental insolvencies
• New ideas and fads, often with little substance, spreading like wildfire
• Swiftly changing lifestyles, with unforeseeable consequences
• Gridlock in the mechanisms for international collaboration prompting state and military relations realignment challenged by intense pent-up pressures
This group is directly modeled after David Wood's London Futurists group (http://londonfuturists.com), which meets regularly in London hosting a phenomenal group of speakers and participants.
Please watch David's London Futurists Academy video (http://londonfuturists.com/2013/08/30/introducing-london-...) for an introduction to some of the underlying issues which I hope will be discussed at various events in Austin.
Please note, this will not be a political discussion of one ilk or another. It would be a pity to trivialize these issues by engaging in political tribalism for what I hope is essentially a serious academic discussion. A participant might find an alternative group more enjoyable, if this cannot be reconciled.
We look forward to getting the group together soon, starting in early next year 2014, at a location in downtown Austin.