addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Austin Groovy and Grails Users Message Board › Project Growler Has Arrived!

Project Growler Has Arrived!

Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 30
Hello Austin Groovy and Grails User Group Members,

It is our pleasure to introduce project Growler. This is a joint endeavor between the AGGUG and Agile Austin. We have been in contact with Lee Fox, the Technology Chair of Agile Austin, over the last few weeks to discuss a possible joint venture and we have finally agreed on a project that we feel will benefit all. Project Growler is a conference/event management webapp, something urgently needed by Agile Austin. Lee describes the project as follows,

“Running an event isn't easy. There's a lot of logistics involved, but probably the most draining is trying to find speakers that bring content that the event's audience will both want and draw value from. Agile Austin has experienced this pain for a long time, and it's only getting worse as we grow and get more and more programs to maintain. These programs can be as small as a lunch time presentation or as large as a full conference. To make things even harrier, Agile Austin has to do all of this work as a volunteer organization where we have a variety of community members donating spare bits of time while they are engaged in the majority by day jobs and other commitments.

We are looking for Project Growler to be a huge help in our efforts to better serve our community. Our biggest challenge is making sure that we provide top notch content about Agile methodologies and related topics. Growler can do that by allowing us to organize our events, our speakers...and their presentations. We could use it to track how well the speakers and presentations do and use that information to decide when to bring back certain speakers or topics. What would result is a body of content with a laser focus on our community, and we would succeed in our mission to support the Agile community in Austin.”

This is a great opportunity for us to shine as a Grails development community. Please help us make this a success by spreading the word about this project and joining us in its development. There is a GitHub repo already created for the project, see: "https://github.com/aggug/growler­". Feel free to clone the repo and start playing with it. More information will be coming regarding project management, but in general we will be using the GitHub "Issues" tracker and "Wiki" to document and track development tasks.

All the Best,

Rob, Ryan and Lee

P.S. Anybody know a graphic artist willing to create a Growler logo for us (for free)?

Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 31
I created some Issues on the Growler GitHib web site: https://github.com/ag...­

Can someone check that they are publically viewable and let me know.

Thanks,
Rob
Todd N.
user 58877742
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
I see 5 open issues.
Huitang L.
user 69790392
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I downloaded the project and somehow could not compile. After searching online, it looks like that it is caused by a grails 2.3.0/2.3.1 bug.

Also, I notice that a local plugin is configured in BuildConfig.groovy. Do we need that plugin? Thanks.

Here is the error:

| Configuring classpath
| Error Resolve error obtaining dependencies: Failed to read artifact descriptor for xalan:serializer:jar:2.7.1 (Use --stacktrace to see the full trace)
| Error Required Grails build dependencies were not found. This is normally due to internet connectivity issues (such as a misconfigured proxy) or missing repositories in grails-
app/conf/BuildConfig.groovy. Please verify your configuration to continue.

Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 32
The inline plugin is a bug. Feel free to fix it and send a pull request.

Were you trying to use 2.3.1 to compile the project?
Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 33
Okay, I removed the inline plugin. It was for the angular-scaffolding plugin that I wanted to use but is currently broken. I fixed it locally and sent the author a pull request but he has not yet picked it up. Guess we will use something else for now.
Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 34
I added a Getting Started Section to the Growler Wiki. Have a look, give it a try and let me know how to improve it. Thanks!

https://github.com/ag...­
Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 35
I updated the first issue on GitHub for project Growler with an explanation of how to add the "mapping" and "constraint" sections of the domain classes. I also added a comment on how to write unit tests for testing the constraints.

Please someone read through the comments and let me know if they make sense and have enough detail to get starting on the issue. The link to the issue is shown below:

https://github.com/ag...­

Regards,
Rob
Uri
wnseques
Austin, TX
Post #: 10
The directions look good so far. I managed to find a cheap host (digitalocean.com) but still working on getting the environment setup. Will jump into the story as soon as I get that out of the way.
Eric M.
user 10949808
Austin, TX
Post #: 12
The directions look good so far. I managed to find a cheap host (digitalocean.com) but still working on getting the environment setup. Will jump into the story as soon as I get that out of the way.
Somewhat OT, but: Digitial Ocean looks pretty interesting. Nice pricing.