addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Melissa Burroughs ...
user 31622412
Waco, TX
Post #: 1
Does this group ever meet just to discuss photography and possibly practice shooting one another? I have only seen paid meetings thus far.
Tim
user 7883977
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 94
Hi Melissa,

Your observation is correct - this group is primarily paid events. For example, the upcoming "Shoot-A-Rama" is an event to discuss photography and practice shooting one another yet it costs $29. This charge is to cover the use of the thousands of dollars of studio equipment including lighting and backdrops as well as munching on my almost-world-famous cookies.

The objective of the group is to create opportunities for learning and shooting you wouldn't otherwise have or aren't available elsewhere. A group that may be exactly what your looking for is the "Photographers Adventure Group" here on Meetup at http://www.meetup.com/Photographers-Adventure-Group/­. This group regularly has outtings that are social along with shooting. When I have ideas for events that are free, I pass these ideas onto that group for organizing. For example, last year we did a shoot of a balloon launch at Mansfield Dam Park. This event didn't fit the objective of this group because it didn't involve people per se and it was an event that anyone could attend and shoot - so it didn't really meet my criterion of an event you couldn't attend on your own. So I got in touch with Bryan Lott and he posted the event in that Meetup group. The attendance was huge (including me!), everyone had a great time and tons of great images were posted.

So I suggest joining that group as well so you can keep tabs on the events in both groups.

All the best,

Tim
Melissa Burroughs ...
user 31622412
Waco, TX
Post #: 2
Thanks so much for the reply!