Adam Frost will lead the meeting.
In this meeting, we’ll explore the core tasks of creating an effective website from scratch. We’ll ask and answer such questions as:
* What is domain registration? How does it differ from web hosting?
* What is an 'A' record? What is a 'CNAME' record?
* How does DNS help people find your website?
* What is an SSL certificate? Do I have to pay for it?
* What is the connection between my domain name, my website and email?
* What are the pros and cons about the different providers?
> Dreamhost, Siteground, godaddy, 1and1, hostgator, others?
> Private registration; subdomains; email forwarding; etc
* Exploration of cpanel
* Overview of HTML vs Wordpress vs a proprietary web builder
* (And we're sure there's more stuff to discuss)
* Demo of creating a website from idea to product
-->You can't afford to miss this learning opportunity
-->And you can afford to come (it's free!)
The meeting is Tuesday February 4, 6:30pm, Microsoft Offices in Burlington
Schedule: Munchies, Q&A, and general discussion 6:30pm; meeting starts at 7pm and must end by 8:45pm per Microsoft requirements.
We will meet at the new Microsoft Offices, 5 Wayside Rd, Burlington MA. You need to bring your government-issued ID such as a driver's license to enter the building.
GETTING THERE without a car
Need a ride? Adam Frost is providing a mini-bus service to and from the meeting from Forest Hills; call him at[masked] to arrange.
(The link also has info about driving to the site.)
We are continuing our tradition of each of us bringing some potluck food to share. We will provide the plates, glasses, and utensils. Please aim for bringing healthy food, as many of us are struggling to eat healthier stuff (but don't make it so healthy that it doesn't taste good!). Thank you.
And of course we always accept donations to help keep the group running; thanks.
The event may be videotaped. By attending, you grant the Boston Network Users Group, True Images Productions, our sponsors, and any other affiliated parties consent to photograph and/or record your voice and image for use on, but not limited to, social media networks, video hosting sites and any other platform available now or in the future in perpetuity. You further acknowledge that the term "photograph" used herein encompasses both still photographs and motion picture footage.
Upcoming meetings! To see info on upcoming meetings, visit www.bnug.org/calendar.html
Do you have any comments or suggestions for upcoming meetings?