Past Meetup

MT. WHITNEY, CA, BACKPACK; ATTEMPT TO SUMMIT

This Meetup is past

2 people went

Needs a location

Details

MT. WHITNEY, CA, BACKPACK; ATTEMPT TO SUMMIT
DATE: OCTOBER 17-21, 2012
Group Size: 6
Facilitator: David A
Length: 21.5 miles +/- (spread over 3 days)
Rating: DIFFICULT, COLD and very high ELEVATION
Elevation: 8,351 feet to 14,496 feet. EC: 6,135 ft.
Price: $16.00, plus share gas expense.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.

MT. WHITNEY, ATTEMPT TO SUMMIT, WEATHER PERMITTING;

Looking for a few people to attempt to summit Mt. Whitney, CA (Weather Permitting) (tallest point in the lower 48 states, at 14, 496 feet) as a 3 day backpack, 5 day trip counting driving, 21.5 miles on foot, EC 6,135 feet. I have not done this before. It is a well-defined trail, all the way.

Mt. Whitney is a tough 3-day back-pack. It is a high altitude trip, where, with the wrong weather, temps can plunge to zero (or it could be warm and balmy), and altitude illness is more likely.

We will need clear weather and mostly ice-free ground, with no storms approaching, to attempt this trip.

Because of the difficulties of this trip, I will need to screen potential attendees.

First priority is to work as a team to get everyone home safely.
Looking for people who:
*Will Put Safety First,
*Get along well in a team effort,
*Are in good physical condition with very good cold weather clothing and sleep system, and traction devices, and a bear can,
*Are Experienced backpackers,
*Have summited Humphrey’s Peak or similar.

Bear-resistant food cans are required.
Acclimatizing to altitude before this trip will be important.
WAG bags ( a bag to poo in) will be issued by the Permit Office, and their use is required.

Rough Itinerary:
Oct. 17; Drive, pick up permit before 5 p.m., camp at trail-head, at 8,361 feet.
Oct. 18; Backpack 3.5 miles, or 6 miles, up to 10,365 feet or 12,039 feet elevation, establish base camp.
Oct. 19; Get up pre-dawn, hiking by very first light, proceed slowly, attempt to summit, then back to base camp (15 miles, or 10 miles, round trip, that day):
Oct. 20; Break camp, hike down, (hopefully shower, we’ll see), sleep.
Oct. 21; Drive home.

THE MEET-UP TIME AND LOCATION:
We’ll sort out carpooling as we get closer, and see who is going and what part of town they live in.

I have paid $96.00 for this permit (non-refundable). If you are selected, we will be splitting that fee ($16.00 each). Your payment of $16.00 is NOT refundable under any circumstances. If the weather is bad, we will have lost our money.

If you would like to go and can firmly commit to this trip, if selected, put yourself on the wait list. As soon as we have 6 people, I will notify the wait list.
RSVP DEADLINE; October 11, 2012 @ 5:00 p.m.

Contact me, as needed, with questions, comments.

Attendees (2)