addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

BOBie Cycling Club Message Board RIDE CLASSIFICATIONS › NEW BOBie Ride & rider Classifications Chart

NEW BOBie Ride & rider Classifications Chart

Keith B.
user 10192076
Chino, CA
Our members have progressed dramatically , speed wise, since Jan. 2011, when we started, so our original ride and RIDER classification chart is no longer an accurate tool to use when self evaluating.

So PLEASE look at the table below and then go and UPDATE your profile.

We understand that wind, terrain (both ascents AND descents). stop lights, weather AND length of ride can greatly effect cruising speed BUT we need to start somewhere.

In evaluating your RIDE LEVEL imagine the following scenario:

On FLAT ground with NO WIND and NO interruptions, what speed or "PACE" are you able to hold for a 30 minute segment without taking yourself to exhaustion. This is just a guideline, so be thoughtful when choosing a ride to join. There is room for interpretation and we are still a no drop group so be respectful of what that ride leader has in mind for any posted ride.

(Remember that almost all of our rides are much longer than the 30 minutes in the scenario above when signing up for a ride that is at or near your personal limit!)

Ride Leaders: Please remember to post these ride classifications, 5 thru 1 (along with a verbal terrain description or link to a GPS map of the route including elevation profiles and GPS downloads.

Ride Level.........Pace

(5+)...................22+ mph

(5).....................21 mph

(5-)....................20 mph

(4+)...................19 mph

(4).....................18 mph

(4-)....................17 mph

(3+)...................16 mph

(3).....................15 mph

(3-)....................14 mph

(2+)...................13 mph

(2).....................12 mph

(2-)....................11mph

(1).....................10 mph

TERRAIN DESCRIPTIONS

1 – Flat Ride / False Flats....................1 – 1.5% grade
2 – Rolling ........................................­­.Up and down hills between -2 1/2% to +2 1/2%
3 – Hilly...................................­­..........Segments up to 4%
4 – Very Hilly...................................­­..Segments up to 6%
5 – Mountainous.............................­­...Extended segments up to 8%
6 - Ski Lifts...................................­­....Extended segments up to 10%
7 - GMR Type....................................­­Continual Extended Climbing (IE: 9 miles of 5.5% avg. climb)
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi Keith & Janet,
I think the new levels for rider pace and terrain are good. It is also good that you are listing it along with the old level designation, so riders can become accustomed to the comparison. I would like to suggest that a clear designation be incorporated for Joy Rides and Easy Rides. It could be using level designations and purpose designations. If we could go to the calendar of events and quickly see where the next Easy Ride, Level 1 Terrain 1 Ride, or Joy Ride is it would make it easier to plan which events to attend.
Janet B.
user 10165469
Group Organizer
Chino, CA
Post #: 287
Thanks for the feedback Eugene. As far as the Joy Riders go, its meant for those with the ability to ride at least 10-12mph comfortably, but the focus will be on enjoying the ride not watching our speed.
Kim T.
user 36286922
La Verne, CA
Post #: 1
Personally, I like the A, B, C, D rider classifications much better than a number rating. In my opinion, it is much easier to readily associate ride levels and pace using letters A through D along with (+/-) to describe the ride level/pace. Also, I think the letters are far more "user friendly" at a quick glance than trying to remember the pace the numbers represent. Perhaps the level/pace listed with the numbers can also be tied to the A-D letter classifications.
Janet B.
user 10165469
Group Organizer
Chino, CA
Post #: 288
I hear ya Kim. We got quite used to our A-B-C-D levels. Only 4 designations so it was easy. I am starting to memorize the numeric system now. We needed a different system so we would know who had updated their profiles, but mostly this numeric system allows an increase of MPH as we grow stronger. Starting with the slowest at number 1, its easy to assign a new number. Previously, with the letter designation we were backed against the wall when we so quickly reached A. To help with the transition, I have been further defining the pace in the description. For example, when I choose a 3 it would indicate 15mph along the flats. So in the description I would put "I am looking for a pace of 15-16mph". I've noticed if I just but a 3+ ride level I actually attract the fours (4) which can blow up my expected pace. It will definitely take some getting used to.
Brian O.
user 122142522
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
So if your normal pace is 4+ and the route you're going to post is a 7 you say it's a 4+/7 ride or 3-/7 because that's the speed on a climbing route?
Keith B.
user 10192076
Chino, CA
Post #: 73
Because there are so many variables on a ride I personally will cater to a certain ride level or that ride level AND Above with the understanding that the faster riders will have to wait longer at the regroups near the top of the climbs.
I will do my best to describe the terrain and include a profile of the elevation as well as the planned upon route.
A former member
So if your normal pace is 4+ and the route you're going to post is a 7 you say it's a 4+/7 ride or 3-/7 because that's the speed on a climbing route?
this is confusing, can you elaborate more?
Keith B.
user 10192076
Chino, CA
Post #: 83
Because everyone climbs differently please use a theoretical flat route to determine your average speed. See this link: https://www.meetup.co...­
Keith B.
user 10192076
Chino, CA
Post #: 84
Because everyone climbs differently it is too hard to factor in climbing speeds so estimate your average speed over 30 minutes (as described below) and apply that to the chart above.
We rarely rate the route terrain by a number system anymore. We almost always include a ridewithgps.com route link so you can evaluate the individual climbs and total ascent and descent and make your own assessment on where you rate your self. I suggest new riders start on a less difficult ride and then move to the more difficult ones.

In evaluating your RIDE LEVEL imagine the following scenario:

On FLAT ground with NO WIND and NO interruptions, what speed or "PACE" are you able to hold for a 30 minute segment without taking yourself to exhaustion. This is just a guideline, so be thoughtful when choosing a ride to join. There is room for interpretation and we are still a no drop group so be respectful of what that ride leader has in mind for any posted ride.