addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Backyard Skeptics Message Board › Advice for battling depression

Advice for battling depression

A former member
Post #: 140
As the economic and ecological crises worsen, looking for answers, we will increasingly be turning towards conventional religions.

Conventional religions are based on two concepts: scapegoats and Messiahs.

Scapegoats provide us with a handy excuse for denying our own responsibility for the creation of problems.

Messiahs provide us with a handy excuse for denying our own responsibility for the solution of problems.

A pretty depressing condition -- right?

Ha, ha, ha! I choose to regard our current condition as "being" pretty amusing!

In either case, the condition is pretty, not ugly.

The solution lies inside, not outside.

Here's something for the "Atheism+" crowd to chew on. smile
______________________________________­_____________________________

God helps those who help themselves.
-- Ben Franklin
A former member
Post #: 141
Also, we will increasingly be making use of the deteriorating conditions themselves as a scapegoat to justify our abuse of alcohol and other drugs. The cult of Dionysius will become even more popular. James Christopher is going to have his hands full. smile
Steven R P.
user 14285380
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 4
No offense, but while I can see that you are making a lot of references, some of which I might not know, your post is coming off as a tad bit schizophrenic in that it's mixed and unclear about the point or question being made. Is this advice for battling depression or a request for advice?

Depression does not seem to me to be quite as simple as you seem to be alluding to. It's a very serious burden to suffer through. I've been through it and my current girlfriend experiences it far worse on a regular basis. It takes more than motivational advice to feel better. Sometimes it takes a never ending hug, other times it takes a reminder to eat breakfast, as this has a directly observable effect on mood for people with mood disorders. Then there's meds to help adjust brain chemistry for the better and even meds to help with sleep, as sleep also has a direct effect over a person's mood. It's really not something to shrug off or belittle if you haven't experienced it directly.
A former member
Post #: 142
Please do not worry about offending me. I have (logically, I hope) reached the conclusion that it's impossible for anybody to offend me just via the media of pixel patterns being displayed on a screen, or sound bites coming out of a loudspeaker. This has been for many years one of my favorite topics, and I'll be glad to elaborate in another post.

Yes, you're indeed quite correct in pointing out that my initial post is quite confusing, and that depression is a very complex problem. I once personally experienced a period during which I became so depressed that I actually attempted to commit suicide. Fortunately, the main long-term effects arising from that experience seem to have been an improved ability to face personal crises, and the desire to share what I learned from that experience with others.

Let me try to begin to dispel that confusion with a link which hopefully explains what "Atheism+" is all about: http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/­
A former member
Post #: 143
This Web page describes the particular "James Christopher" I'm talking about: http://www.sossobriety.org/james%20christopher.htm­