addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Backyard Skeptics Message Board › Pet Peeves About Religion

Pet Peeves About Religion

DB
PansyDB
Santa Ana, CA
Post #: 21
I believe Bruce brought this topic up last night.

I was thinking about the person I most often butt heads with over religion, my brother Chris, a former hard-core punk rocker turned Born Again Christian. Right around puberty, he told me I was going to hell for following the wrong version of God (Mormon). His unmerciful persecution of me at a very sensitive time in my life led me to question my religion & all others. So, in a way, he did me a favor. But the sibling relationship has never quite recovered.

Now that he thinks I'm going to hell for an entirely different set of reasons, I have logic and reason on my side. But I still try not to get too heavily involved in debates with him. We rarely conflict at family gatherings; It's usually on Facebook when he responds to something I've posted that counters religion.

So my pet peeve is that Christians in general, & my brother in particular, get so offended when you express an opinion in contradiction to their belief system. Yet they post incessant Hallelujah Jesus! all over their pages about how their Starbucks coffee tasted today or any other inane thing. But the minute you post something they don't like, they're all over you like bees on honey (to put it nicely).

Why can't they politely ignore my posts like I politely ignore theirs'?
Charlene
char0110
Newport Beach, CA
Post #: 19
That's why I try to avoid them entirely. I'm very happy to say I've gotten to a place in my life where I can afford to not take xians on as clients, especially when their theory of their case is that the court should cut them slack because they found "Jesus" in jail, lol.
Steve B.
user 46561542
Capistrano Beach, CA
Post #: 1
As people of reason we are sometimes perplexed over the hostility that theists react to atheists. Theists have much more to fear from other theists with a different imaginary friend than from atheists. When being harassed by religious people it’s important to maintain empathy. Almost all religious people were indoctrinated when they were children when they had no resistance to magical ideas and were very motivated to please their parents. Think of how you might feel sorry for someone who meant well but was swindled by a con man.

There are several reasons for their hostility. It’s important to realize the role religion plays in people lives and why just your existence threatens to disrupt benefits they believe religion gives them. I’ll give a couple of reasons people have for being religious. I’m sure you can add to the list.

We have a near instinctual need for agency in our lives.

http://en.wikipedia.o...­

We have a natural tendency to believe ourselves immortal and will make up nearly anything to have a world view that doesn’t contradict that.

http://www.richarddaw...­

As they say in the Skepticality podcasts “Skeptical thinking is not natural, but worth it."