addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Atheists/Agnostics/Humanists/Freethinkers/Skeptics Message Board › Tomorrow (09/30) is Blasphemy Day!

Tomorrow (09/30) is Blasphemy Day!

Miltown H.
Vinny832
Pittsburg, CA
Post #: 48
http://skepticfreetho...­

The popular understanding of blasphemy is probably the Biblical commandment to not take the Lord’s name in vain, although in recent years it has extended in the public consciousness to include depicting images of the Islamic prophet Muhammad. Six years ago, on 30 September 2005, a Danish newspaper called Jyllands-Posten published a series of political cartoons depicting Muhammad. What followed was a battle of cultures between the West’s value of free speech and Islam’s strict laws against blasphemy. Religion can and does exert a tremendous amount of power over free speech thanks to its universal condemnation of blasphemy.

The word ‘blasphemy’ derives from two Greek words, βλάπτω meaning “I harm”, and φήμη meaning “reputation” and has come to be taken as speaking out against God, or the vilification of religion and religious doctrines. Among more fervent and fundamental religious sects, blasphemy can range anywhere between drinking a beer to denying the existence of God (both of which I have done this very day). The Bible has this to say about blasphemers in Leviticus 24:16, “One who blasphemes the name of the Lord shall be put to death; the whole congregation shall stone the blasphemer. Aliens as well as citizens, when they blaspheme the Name, shall be put to death.” It’s clear that the big three of Western religions have an extremely low opinion of blasphemy, considering it a capital offense. Laws against blasphemy only serve to promote fear among the populace and obedience to the religious authorities.

In Renaissance Europe, the official cosmology of the Catholic Church was the Aristotelian view of the cosmos which held that all celestial objects revolved around the Earth, fully controlled by God. When Galileo turned his telescope to the heavens and sketched four moons orbiting Jupiter, he was blaspheming against the Church. This limited cosmology also held that there could be no such thing as a vacuum. So when scientists like Torricelli and Pascal started messing about with creating vacuums, they were blaspheming against the Church as well. George Bernard Shaw once wrote that “[a]ll great truths begin as blasphemies,” which would sum up the western pursuit of science quite succinctly. For religions which promote the idea that a God created the universe for human beings alone, science will always be blasphemous because science pokes holes in the already fragile philosophical cosmology that religions teach as truth.

Blasphemy Day is a day for recognizing the importance of blasphemy in a society which values the right to free speech. Without freedom to blaspheme, to speak out against ridiculous religious doctrines which keep society in darkness and ignorance, we cannot truly have freedom of speech. To blaspheme is to hold the idea that there is nothing which is so sacred that it cannot be criticized, mocked, or even spoken aloud. As an atheist, every day for me is Blasphemy Day because I refuse to buy into the dogma religion peddles. Given that my birthday falls on Blasphemy Day every 30 September, it’s just makes it that much more fun for me.
David D.
user 14112952
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 1
Very nice Vincent. I like the explanation. I shall go forth and blaspheme in joy. (I knew there was SOMETHING that I meant to do today.) Happy birthday.
Wendy
user 9892369
San Ramon, CA
Post #: 293
"Among more fervent and fundamental religious sects, blasphemy can range anywhere between drinking a beer to denying the existence of God (both of which I have done this very day). "

Geez, Vincent. You are such an overachiever. If we'd known about this sooner, some of us might have been able to equal or even surpass your accomplishments.

"This limited cosmology also held that there could be no such thing as a vacuum. So when scientists like Torricelli and Pascal started messing about with creating vacuums, they were blaspheming against the Church as well. "
There have been times when unannounced visitors to my place would believe there was, indeed, no such thing as a vacuum, so they might be hard to convince. And I think the Hoover clan might take exception to your attribution of who created vacuums.

"To blaspheme is to hold the idea that there is nothing which is so sacred that it cannot be criticized, mocked, or even spoken aloud. "
Including posts by fellow Meet-up folks. Belated birthday wishes, Vincent. ;-)