addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Atheists/Agnostics/Humanists/Freethinkers/Skeptics Message Board › That Pew Research study revealing that more people are checking "None&q

That Pew Research study revealing that more people are checking "None" for their religion.

A former member
Post #: 28
A lot of atheists, including scientists such as Dawkins have been looking at this one number (sorry I don't have a link to the research or reactions about it) and concluding that there is a rise in atheism. Though I, too, would like to see a rise in atheism, it is scientifically invalid to draw such a conclusion. I have expressed this fact, in the past. I was just watching a Dan Savage video when he explained that further research into that finding shows that these additional people are primarily selecting "None," even though they are Christians, because they don't want to be associated with the anti-gay bigots that claim to speak for all of Christianity. Here is a link to the lecture where Dan discusses this issue: http://www.youtube.co...­

I may be an Atheist, but - first and foremost - I am a reasonist. As soon as Atheists start jumping on isolated numbers and making unsupportable claims as to their meaning; As soon as emotion and a desire for things to be the-way-they-just-ain't start guiding our statements and actions, then that is when Atheism starts down that slippery slope toward actually becoming "just another religion" as many Christians already claim that it is.
A former member
Post #: 3
As you have mentioned it is important not to conflate "nonreligious" with atheism. There are a number of nonreligious who are theists. And you also stated there are Christians who will say they are NOT religious. Religion is an institution.

Michael Shermer in his book, "The Believing Brain" has suggested most, if not all of us, start with belief then use reason to support our beliefs. I have to say, that was true for me. And passion is what it means to be human. It has been suggested passion is what rules reason for all of us. That is why it is so difficult to change our minds once we come to a particular belief we "know" is true.