Paranormal Investigation for members only (no guests allowed and no one under the age of 18)
Cost - $80.00 per person (payable at time of RSVP)
We will have 8 hours to investigate 3 floors and a partial basement. We will be separated into 2 groups of 6. Please do not wear any perfume, cologne or scented lotions - as it makes it hard to determine phantom smells. Please feel free to bring any equipment except for Ouija boards and headlamp style flashlights. You can bring food and drinks that can be left in the carriage house, which will be our setup area.
History of Death and Paranormal Activity
There are at least 7 family members known to have died in the house. One of the most tragic being Archie McConaghy, who died on March 12, 1892 after he was run over by a piece of farming equipment. He died in the house of internal injuries a couple hours later.
There have been claims of voices, shadow figures and doors opening. If you have time check out Apra Paranormal's website for videos of their investigation.
Family and House History
(Information from the Hayward Area Historical Society website)
The McConaghy family built their 12-room farmhouse, tank house and carriage house in 1886. Tours of the house offer visitors a fun and informative environment to learn more about what life was like for farming families during the Victorian period. It offers adults and children alike a visual opportunity to see how much everyday things and activities have changed over the last 120 years. The McConaghy House Boutique features Victorian gifts and books for purchase to commemorate your visit.
The McConaghy Family
Neal McConaghy was born in 1828 in Antrim County, Ireland to Scottish parents. Neal arrived in America from Scotland in 1848, first settling in the Philadelphia area for several years. Stories of a rush for gold in California lured Neal west in 1853 to seek his fortune. Upon arriving in San Francisco, Neal spent a brief time in San Lorenzo before heading to gold country.
In 1858 Neal McConaghy returned to San Lorenzo. He first worked as a ranch hand and then as a farmer. Neal saved enough money to rent some land of his own, upon which he constructed a gristmill. Both the land and mill were profitable.
Using the profits from his land and mill, Neal purchased 197 acres of San Lorenzo land and built his first house at the foot of Grant Avenue in 1865. During that same year, Neal married Sara McCaw, who was also from Antrim County, Ireland. The McConaghys lived in the home on Grant Avenue for two decades. At that home a daughter and four sons were born.
In 1886, Neal purchased a parcel of land along Hesperian Boulevard (formerly known as Telegraph Road), near Bockman Road. When the McConaghy family moved into the new house, John, the youngest son, was 15 years old. John, who lived to be 100, remained in the house for the rest of his life. One of the most remarkable things about the McConaghy House is that it was owned and occupied by the same family from 1886 to 1972, or over 85 years!
The McConaghy House
The McConaghy House is a Stick-Eastlake style farmhouse. John Haar, Sr., who later became mayor of Hayward, designed and constructed the McConaghy House in 1886.
When John McConaghy died on July 6, 1972 he willed the house to Shrines’ Hospital. The following February a hearing notice was posted, alerting the community of plans to rezone the 2.47 acre residential property for retail business, meaning the 90 year old house would be torn down. Area residents Esther Jorgensen, Lucille Lorge, and Lois Over did not want to see this happen and quickly formed a committee of concerned San Lorenzo residents. The committee contacted several service organizations to adopt a resolution to save the McConaghy House.
The Hayward Area Recreation Department (HARD), who was also opposed to commercial development, purchased the McConaghy House from the Shrines’ on July 30, 1973. The Hayward Area Historical Society (HAHS) was given the responsibility of restoring the McConaghy House into the house museum we know today. In September 1976 the McConaghy House was finally ready to open its doors for docent tours, thanks to the help of many individuals and community organizations.