addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Cycling Message Board › Bike Stores in SF

Bike Stores in SF

A former member
Post #: 13
Hey all,

I'm new to the city and wanted to know a good place in SF to buy a bike.

Open to all suggestions.

Jeff
impeach_dicks
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 32
Hi TJ, most stores for anything in San Francisco are more expensive due to high rents. I have found shops on the peninsula a little more reasonable and provide more personal service. My favorite is Gearhead Bikes in Pacifica. A nice shop back in the Lindemar Valley and close to real nice beaches to make the drive worthwhile.
A former member
Post #: 17
Jeff - funny that you'd post about an anti-oil protest and then tell someone to drive to go buy a bicycle. just saying. ;)

in SF Mike's Bikes, Sports Basement, Valencia Cyclery, American Cyclery are all pretty good. test ride bikes until you can feel the difference between them then pick the one that speaks to you. give it time, it's worth it. make your test rides count, do more than just ride around the parking lot. do not listen to sales people that tell you "this is the bike you need." a good sales person listens. I bought my bike from Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito. the main sales person is Rhonna, she's great and being a female you might benefit from her wisdom. she was outstanding in helping me find my bike which I love more than most animate objects. IMO Bicycle Odyssey and American Cyclery have the most experienced and professional people working there. I'm not a fan of Mikes Bikes sales techniques but many people have had great luck there. definitely get the bike fit for you, listen to your body, not the sales people. good luck!
JohnIG
user 11722345
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hey all,

I'm new to the city and wanted to know a good place in SF to buy a bike.

Open to all suggestions.

Sports basement in the presidio is a good place for bikes and everything else. It's near the water close
to the golden gate bridge. Also Roaring Mouse cycles just opened there, but they're more expensive
although really nice equipment. Address:

Sports Basement Presidio
610 Old Mason St.
The Presidio San Francisco, CA 94129
A former member
Post #: 14
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! :)
A former member
Post #: 2
I am new to the area as well and recently bought a new bike. I too recommend Roaring Mouse. Although they are not the least expensive, I found their customer service to be outstanding.

I told them the type of riding that I do, and the budget that I had. They had me test ride three bikes, all of which were very different in ride in feel. After choosing the one I liked best, I asked the price and it was 2/3 of what I told them I was willing to spend.

They sold me the bike that fit me, not my wallet.

Welcome to the area and good luck with your shopping.
Jeff
impeach_dicks
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 33
@Mike G. Hi MIke, I'm not against driving, I'm for prudent use of driving such as consolidating trips, which is why I suggested checking out the nearby beaches in Lindemar. This part of the coast is like being in Carmel without the long drive. As for shops, a lot of people like big places like Sports Basement and others like the small stores such as Gearhead that are actually run by people like us that work on and ride the bikes. While Gearhead might not have a huge row of displayed bikes like the chains, they can custom build what you want for the same sort of cash. I like supporting the small businessman, the backbone of our economy.

Jeff - funny that you'd post about an anti-oil protest and then tell someone to drive to go buy a bicycle. just saying. ;)

in SF Mike's Bikes, Sports Basement, Valencia Cyclery, American Cyclery are all pretty good. test ride bikes until you can feel the difference between them then pick the one that speaks to you. give it time, it's worth it. make your test rides count, do more than just ride around the parking lot. do not listen to sales people that tell you "this is the bike you need." a good sales person listens. I bought my bike from Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito. the main sales person is Rhonna, she's great and being a female you might benefit from her wisdom. she was outstanding in helping me find my bike which I love more than most animate objects. IMO Bicycle Odyssey and American Cyclery have the most experienced and professional people working there. I'm not a fan of Mikes Bikes sales techniques but many people have had great luck there. definitely get the bike fit for you, listen to your body, not the sales people. good luck!

A former member
Post #: 19
Jeff - just an observation. ride with me, you'll learn I'm a bit of a smart ass. I really try to avoid driving and haven't had to do it in 2011 (yay city living!). still, the things I buy are made with and transported with oil. one of my bicycle test ride days turned into a 65 mile ride day. out to Sausalito and up and down Camino Alto on a bunch of different bikes. it worked out, I found a great bike that day.

agreed on the cause though, I'm pretty sickened by the way the bajillions of gallons of oil just disappeared into the ocean, *poof* and everyone goes back to talking about what Snooky is wearing. nevermind the lobbyists, bonuses, lack of regulation, tax breaks...

always cool to read about new shops, and yes, SUPPORT YOUR LBS!! online shops can be cheaper but they won't tweak your bike for free or listen to your boring stories with a smile.
Jeff
impeach_dicks
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 35
I ride mostly on the Peninsula. Looking for riders that want to call up the GGNRA and arrange a ride on the ridge down to 35. I got the damn phone number last time I was up there, just need to find it now.