addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Cycling Message Board › Ride Saturday to Pan Toll

Ride Saturday to Pan Toll

A former member
Post #: 15
I am available to ride this Saturday. Mike G. posted some routes in a post Dana made “Training rides for 63-mile Tour de Peninsula” that I used to map out two routes. I did Hawk Hill last weekend but added Mike’s Pan Toll route to it. I have not done the Pan Toll route but so far the routes Mike has suggested have been great routes for me to ride and easy to navigate.

Seems to me people are comfortable with a 30mi route which would be the Pan Toll with good climbing. So let’s start with the Pan Toll route and go from there. Here is the route Mike posted

Pan Toll-34mi
http://www.mapmyride....­

Here is option two IF everyone is up for it including me.

Hawk hill to Pan Toll-50mi (Pan Toll to Hawk Hill)
http://www.mapmyride....­

I will not leave anyone behind. I am posting this to ride with someone, not to just warm up with and leave behind. I feel if we start together we should finish together. I am also not a fast rider and have no intention of racing.

I think this would be some good training for the Tour De Peninsula ride. I believe if we complete the 50 mile route a couple of times we should be able to handle the full 63 climbs.

The routes start at the conservatory near the Dahlia garden. These maps are for reference only so if it is easier to meet in the Pan Handle or even Sports Basement if anyone needs anything before we head out. I will be starting from the Sunset district.

I would like to start around 9am. Anyone is welcome to join me.
Thanks
Ronnie

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Ronnie,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I had just made plans to go hiking with a friend just before you got back with me.
Thanks for getting back to me and I hope to ride with you soon!!!

Have a great weekend!
Trisha
A former member
Post #: 16
You are welcome Trisha and it looks like I am going to have a few Saturdays available in July maybe even a couple of weekdays. Enjoy your weekend. I am thinking of making this a regular ride for my Saturdays until it gets easy to do.

So is there anyone that would like to join me for at least a 34 mile ride?

Since the conservatory is close to me I'll be there around 9 and leave by 9:15. I would like to get across the bridge before the larger groups start heading across. I'll check back here later or send me a email.

I'll be on a black Jamis with a red/black long sleeve shirt and red and white helmet. I might have a black backpack on this time with a water tube hanging over my shoulder.

Have a great night everyone and hope to see you in the morning.
Ronnie
A former member
Post #: 17
Thanks Mike G. for another great route. I only did the Pan Toll route. I started to head up Hawk Hill but my legs just were not feeling spunky enough with the head wind and fog. I missed a couple of turns so I ended up with 37 miles. Coming down the Panoramic Hwy was a lot of fun. It reminds of the commercial with the pig on the skate board WEEEEEEE!!!!

Thanks again Mike for posting those routes. It's a whole new riding experience going over the bridge rather than heading south.
A former member
Post #: 54
great post Ronnie, I'm stoked to hear that things went well! I'm glad you waited to do Hawk Hill until the end of the ride, I almost posted a cautionary note on that but thought you'd figure it out. I've had that exact enthusiasm, "I'm gonna climb so much tomorrow I'll even throw in Hawk Hill!!" the mind says YAY, the legs say NO FREAKING WAY! a new world has opened up for your cycling, the West side of Bolinas ridge (Muir Woods, Stinson, Marshall) is amazing and very climby. there's only a few roads to learn but the combinations are endless. be careful though, getting back with a broken bike or when injured or bonked isn't easy.
I too was up at Pan Toll today, quite nice up there.
cheers!
-Mike G
A former member
Post #: 18
Mike they went very well and thanks again. Please feel free to give advice. What you have in mind I may not have thought of or even know. I don't take anything personal so please feel free to make suggestions and comments. I am no expert and far from knowing everything.

I will eventually be able to do both and have set that as a personal goal. I think both of those routes are very good training routes to go to bigger and better things. biggrin

Well I am available again for this route Saturday. I would like to leave around 9am and meet at the same place or another if anyone else would like to go.

So again I ask, is anyone up for a 30 mile ride to Pan Toll? It is a great ride and well worth it.