Join Be Social Change (http://besocialchange.com/) for our Makers Institute Class: Using the Power of Storytelling to Create Impact on Monday, May 12 at 7:00PM where you'll learn how storytelling plays an integral part in making and inspiring change.
If you really want to change the world, you must become a powerful storyteller. Storytelling isn’t just a communications tool, but a central element of your transformative work. We must share stories that shift perceptions, ignite imaginations and inspire action.
Stories are the fabric of human identity. They are how we understand ourselves, each other and the world. Whether you are looking for funding, supporters, customers, working on writing a convincing business plan, delivering a 30 second elevator pitch, etc. you need to be able to tell a compelling story that moves people.
Our ability to create change depends on our ability to tell a powerful story that not only enables others to see the world in a new way, but inspires them to become supports and champions of our causes. This workshop is designed to teach nonprofits, social entrepreneurs and professionals at all levels how to tell stories that catalyze their work and fulfill on their missions.
Purchase your ticket here: http://bit.ly/storytelling515
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
• The crucial ingredients of magnetic stories
• The 5 core stories you need to inspire action and build a movementHow to design a simple and effective process for choosing the perfect story to tell
• How to craft a visionary narrative for your brand or movement that invites supporters to join you
• How to communicate this visionary narrative through specific stories, across multiple platforms, online and off
• How to create a storytelling strategy for your organization or company
• How to structure powerful personal stories
WHO THIS CLASS IS FOR
• Professionals working within social enterprises or nonprofits organizations
• Communications strategists/marketers working for nonprofits or social enterprises ready to focus on company and brand storytelling
• Social entrepreneurs leading impact driven organizations
• Individuals contemplating founding a social enterprise or nonprofit
• Professionals who have an idea for a project, organization or business that will drive social change
Annie Escobar (AnnieEscobar (https://twitter.com/annieescobar)) is the founder of Awake Storytelling (http://www.awakestorytelling.com/), an impact driven film company fueling a conscious storytelling revolution. By documenting the stories of activists and change makers in over 25 countries around the world, Annie has seen first hand the role that storytelling plays in building movements and catalyzing change. As a filmmaker, she’s created emotional, story driven videos for over 50 social movements and organizations. Annie is obsessed with creating and producing stories that change the way we see ourselves, each other and the world. She first learned how to tell a captivating story by competing for the attention of her nine siblings at their massive dinner table.
Annie is the author of The Starter Guide to Non-Profit Video Storytelling and has been a key note speaker at TEDxNYU, Google, The Foundation Center, and NYU. Additionally she has led workshops in Palestine, Uganda, and the United States. She believes that if we shift our cultural stories – from narratives of inadequacy, separation and inevitability to narratives of wholeness, connection and power – that we truly can create a better world.
You can learn about her current work here (http://www.awakestorytelling.com/) and find out more about her background here (https://www.linkedin.com/pub/annie-escobar/1a/415/5b2).
The Centre for Social Innovation is a Founding Partner of the Makers Institute and a home for nonprofits and social entrepreneurs in New York City. They’re building a movement of passionate people committed to a better world. Learn more at http://nyc.socialinnovation.org/
ABOUT THE MAKERS INSTITUTE
The Makers Institute is the social good business school of Be Social Change (http://besocialchange.com/) focused on equipping founders, professionals, and creatives with the entrepreneurial skills needed to build sustainable startups, nonprofits, and purpose-driven careers. Through applied learning and practical training we help people develop 21st century business skills needed to create positive and sustainable impact. We offer classes, workshops, and boot camps in the following areas: business foundations, funding, communications, technology and professional development.