It's more of a drinking club with a reading problem.
1) Read for a few hours. 2) Come to the bar. 3) Discuss.
This is an easy access reading club. It's a chance to meet new people, discuss, think, talk, drink.
Please remember the following aspects of this group:
1) Our reading group meets at a bar.
2) Our reading group drinks beer.
3) Our reading group meets at a bar and discusses racism, culture, life, love, sex, and other aspects of the human experience.
4) We drink and discusses perspectives and views that are going to be to the right or left of your politics or will be at direct odds with your beliefs. You may potentially be offended by unpopular opinions, political incorrectness, hypocrisy, phobic statements, profanity, or something someone from the East coast said.Every human being has a unique and personal perspectives of these themes influenced by their biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, age, or physical or mental ability.
5) You must be tolerant of all group opinions to be part of this group.
6) You may say something profane and unpopular yourself.
I want to be clear what this group is:
1) This is a space where you might change someone’s mind or have your mind changed.
2) This is an inclusive space: for any and all people.***
3) This is an open space: for any and all opinions and ideas.
4) This is a place where you may experience challenges because of aspects of your humanity: biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, age, or physical or mental ability.
5) This is a space where you can potentially change someone’s mind.
This is not a space where you can disparage other human beings (name calling, labeling, etc) for their beliefs, thoughts, or words. You can listen. You can disagree. You can Reference your opinion or experience, ask a question to push for deeper understanding or for weak premises. There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. Look to bring out the best in people and it will bring out the best in you. You can not name call or label someone something. We are too old for name calling and too complex for labels.
If someone is struggling to be upright, struggling to balance their values, struggling to apply their older values to something new; you don’t get to knock them down because of a mis-step. If someone mis-steps and accidently stepped on your feelings help them get back on track. If someone is a heel, then show some soul.
***Come to this group with an open mind and an open heart, or fuck off.
How to forcefully disagree with tact:
That’s in direct contrast to my life experience.I haven’t heard that. I am skeptical because…What brought you to that conclusion?I don’t see that.Do you think there are exceptions?