addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bend Photographers Group Message Board Bend Photographers Group Discussion Forum › Interested in meeting photographers interested in Casual Portraiture

Interested in meeting photographers interested in Casual Portraiture

Todd C.
RTCary
Bend, OR
Post #: 1
My interest is in Casual Portraiture and the use of off camera flash. Unfortunately this is not a solo endeavor since one needs at least a model, and ideally someone to hold the off camera flash or reflector plus patience to experiment with different configurations.

Now that I am retired and have time to experiment with this area of photography, I would enjoy getting together with others. Feel free to send me an email through this forum.

Todd

Ron A.
ronalvig1
Bend, OR
Post #: 2
Hi Todd, I also have an interest in portraits...and have the same problems. Give me a call & we can talk.

541-610-8739c
Ron
Todd C.
RTCary
Bend, OR
Ron -

Will do...

Todd

541-306-4832
A former member
Post #: 1
If you don't mind a 'girl' tagging along, I'd love to join in!! hehehe

I have been a photographer for years, specializing in weddings, but have never felt that great at using off camera flash. I have all the equipment, and as much as I love the day photos and natural light shots, the flash shots still elude me more than I like! I do a lot of fixing photos in the computer needlessly. I would love to get some more practise without the pressure.

Call me, 585.610.5393 - its my cell so I have it on me most of the time.

Sherry
Todd C.
RTCary
Bend, OR
Post #: 3
This should work out to be a great group. Let's plan on getting together after the Holidays (we have children coming into town). However it would be helpful to set out some kind of plan on approaching the topic.

My email address is todd at aristesoftware dot com. Let's outline what we would like to cover and to have some weather contingencies. Once I have your email addresses, I'll send you my background and what I would like to cover. Will this work for both of you?
Robert C.
Bendeugene
Bend, OR
Post #: 26
I'd be interested in this gathering, too, if it works out for my schedule! My camera will trigger off-camera flashes, but I suppose it depends on brand/model, etcetera. We could "model" for each other, help set up lights, hold reflectors and so on. We did a portrait Meetup up outside quite a while ago and had some success with it. This one could be formal or informal. Always open to suggestions. No rule says to make it an official Meetup.

As an aside, neither men nor women are ever excluded from anything we do. I don't believe there's a person in the group who would argue that point. And I strongly suggest to both women and men not to post their phone numbers on the site, but to use the email member feature on an individual's profile page to pass more personal information to others. I post my email here occasionally, but that is also open for debate, unless you follow the example above: dot com, instead of .com discourages bots from trolling for emails.

A former member
I was just kidding about the girl thing!! I know noone would ever exclude anyone from these jaunts! Todd and Ron I know you've called - haven't had a good opp to call back - will today sometime. I'd love to get together perhaps between xmas and new years? Or after. My daughter is visiting from New York for a couple weeks and she would make an excellent model too!!

I am available most all the time - I would suggest early morning or late afternoon for outside lighting, then we could move to a few indoor places? I was in the riverside convention center this last weekend and they have a lovely (if not very well lit lobby). Let me know what everyone thinks!
Robert C.
Bendeugene
Bend, OR
Post #: 27
Hi All! I've received an email asking that we form a little four person group. I'm not necessarily for it or against it, but I'm really too busy with work, family, life and the main photo group to hlep set goals, etcetera, as has been suggested. Happy to participate as I'm able, but I'm not retired, nor is my time boundless. I do wish it was otherwise. Anyone in the group is free, of course, to trade emails and set up gatherings for whatever their interests are. I just can't help organize anything else at this time, but I appreciate the offer. If there's interest from the group at large to do a Meetup on portraits or people, and someone wants to lend their expertise and lead it, then I'll lend a hand.
A former member
Good morning gang.............I have been underwater for a while but should surface sometime in mid January. However, I thought your interests and efforts on the CASUAL PORTRAIT front might benefit from some minimal input and a idea or two.

In late September I taught a two day Environmental Portrait Workshop over here on the coast. I had 10 students and 11 models participating in the event. We spent a lot of time on "How to Find/See the light", the "Three (most important) Basic Lighting Styles", "Masculine & Feminine Posing", "Additive & Subtractive Lighting Techniques" and a whole bunch more. We didn't do much with Fill Flash because of the logistical and technical challenges of simply packing all that equipment around on the beach, not to mention that almost all the students (in this particular workshop) were absolute newbies when it came to the use of electronic flash (strobes, speed lights, light boxes, diffusers, umbrellas etc.) That alone, could/should be a complete workshop all by itself.

What I might suggest is the group get together and break the "Casual Portrait" interests into manageable components and then go after them one at a time. *( to be honest, I don't know what "CASUAL PORTRAITS" means?? ) Are you thinking they are images of people out of a studio? And images of people captured in the studio is a FORMAL PORTRAIT? or is a casual portrait the style of attire the subjects is wearing ????

Here is a very short list of components I would consider if I were where you are in this effort. Find a portrait photographer that would be willing to donate some time to walk you through these 4 basics of portrait photography.
1. LIGHTING STYLES: (Short, Broad, Split, Rembrandt, Butterfly, Flat, etc)
2. POSING RULES & TECHNIQUES: Masculine, Feminine, Heads, Hands, Clothing etc
3. ADDITIVE & SUBTRACTIVE LIGHTING: Reflectors, Gobo's, Scrims,
4. LIGHTING RATIOS: Hi-Key, Lo-Key, Key Lights, Fill Lights, How Much & When & Why,

You could add the 5th element ( 5. STROBE/SPEED LIGHTS: Watt Seconds, Ratios, Shutter Speeds and F-Stops etc) but it really has nothing to do with portraiture. After all lighting is lighting and it really doesn't matter if the light is coming from the sun, a reflector, an overcast sky or a speed light. If you don't know how to see and manage the LIGHT, then adding the complexities of electronic flash blended into available light will only push you over the edge..............especially if you are just getting into photography and or portraiture.

I once took a three day workshop on just the use and management of Studio Lighting while shooting the business/executive portrait. I was stunned at the amount I didn't know about the use of studio lighting, how to maximize the different qualities of light depending on the accessories I hung on the front of my lights and on and on and on.
Don't know if any of this helps but just thought it might be helpful in some small way.

Good luck out there and I look forward to seeing some of the results from your efforts in our forum.

Oh yeah..........don't forget there is a TON of information on portraiture, lighting, strobes, etc, etc on the internet. When I was putting my September workshop together I found some REALLY GOOD INFO so that might be a great place to start.

From over on the other side of the hill......Hope this helps a little...........Vern
A former member
Post #: 12
A very good written resource for portrait lighting and environmental portrait lighting is Kevin Kubota's new book - The Lighting Notebook. Kevin, as some of you may know, is a highly acclaimed wedding photographer and lighting expert who happens to live in Bend and also is a personal friend. Although my first love is landscapes, I've been reading his book and picking up some ideas on how to provide some fill light in the natural landscape to complement low-light photography at dawn and dusk. It's a fun read.