Better than Small Talk is a community gathering for people who want to move past repetitive small talk and explore meaningful connection via authentic conversation.
At Better than Small Talk: You'll meet people from different walks of life. You'll get to converse with others in a genuine way. You'll meet other people who value authentic connection.
Community Agreements and Expectations:
1. Be honest. If we can't be honest, we can't build trust.
2. Respect others and yourself. Our interactions are rooted in empathy, respect, and kindness.
3. Be kind. No put-downs of self or others.
4. Listen well. This means listening with an open mind and an open heart. Refrain from interrupting or being dismissive. We may not always agree with others' viewpoints but we listen to truly understand, and if we want to challenge a viewpoint, we do so from a place of respectful curiosity.
5. Participate fully. An attentive face to face conversation is a rare thing these days. We give each other the gift of our focus and attention, while giving ourselves the gift of a break from phones, social media, and multitasking.
We have two kinds of meetups:
Conversation Circles: These are casual, ad-hoc discussions on different topics. Spaces are open first-come first-served on Meetup.
Special Events: These are facilitated intimate gatherings. The guest list is curated and a formal RSVP request is required. Apply for an RSVP at betterthansmalltalk.com. Priority is given to folks who've never gotten to attend one before.
What past participants at our Special Events have said:
"It was really well organized and felt comforting."
"So relevant and well thought out, planned and executed!!! LOVED!"
"Really fun event, cool people, nice conversations. So much gratitude to you for putting this on and making it happen!"
"I loved the energy of meeting new people and hearing different viewpoints."