- Lets talk lightning!
This is a support post to spread the word for Lucas Cullen and Caleb Yeoh's event: https://www.meetup.com/BitcoinBrisbane/events/259135457/ Love of hate it, lightning is "coming soon". One of our community members has volunteered to give a talk on the lightning network. Lets try and keep it civil. Boxing gloves will not be provided. After party will be at XCargo.
- Why Bitcoin Matters
Ladies & Gentlemen, Bitcoiners, no coiners & other-coiners alike. 2019 has arrived. I suggest we kick the year off with the right narrative. I was re-reading an article yesterday by a dude from Consensus, and what his predictions were for 2018, at the end of 2017..umm..lol Have a read here if you'd like to see what happens when you stray too far away from the fundamentals that really matter. https://media.consensys.net/18-predictions-for-2018-7a376ea7bd4b So... In this meetup, we're going back to basics. Back to WHY Bitcoin matters, and why it's still the only real game in town. Those of you who've heard me speak before, know my stance on alot of these things', and have probably heard me present on the history of money, how its evolved & how we've come to have Bitcoin as a new form of self-sovereign digital asset. In this talk, I'll review some of that, along with new content I'm preparing for a major investment summit later in Feb: - Why Blockchain is a dumb idea on it's own - What Lightning could represent / do for Bitcoin - What's on the horizon for Bitcoin - Market outlook PLUS I'll introduce Tim Dargavel to you all (most of you know him), who I know has been keep to run some Lightning focused meetups to start having a play with what's the real cutting edge tech in this space. Looking forward to seeing you all there, Aleks
- Tone Vays: Panel & Trading Bitcoin, hosted by Amber
Tone Vays is coming to Brisbane! His workshop is now full, but we will be hosting Tone's Brisbane meetup on the 23rd November. A clip from our last meetup can be found here (see if you're in it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRJg-XtMdpU We're going to look to top the last one's attendance (66 people) at this one, so it will be a full night including: - A presentation by Aleks Svetski on what's ahead for 2019 - A "Trading Bitcoin" session with Tone, - A Panel with Tone, Aleks and one other, yet to confirmed, speaker The aim is to cover as many topics as practical in the time we have, including: - Overall outlook on the markets - Origins of Money & Bitcoin - Bitcoin as a sound Money VS an asset class VS a technology - Lightning & it's applications. - What does Bitcoin look like over the next 1, 5, 10 and 20yrs. We'll do our best to allocate as much time for audience QA so that we can make the event as interactive as possible. Food & Drinks will be provided, so make sure you come early, come hungry, come with questions and come to network. Hope to see you all there. We will post this meetup across all the key groups, but if you're able to all please RSVP here, it would help with managing numbers for food. Thanks again! Aleks PS - In being respectful of Tone's time, we will try to avoid going down the BTC / BCH rabbit hole.
- Preparing for the next wave of Adoption
Hey Everyone! Been a while since we've run anything at all! haha.. We're running this next meetup via the Bitcoin Brisbane Group. Everyone is encouraged to bring family / friends / people off the street, whatever - it's all about building awareness and planting the seeds for the next wave of use, growth & adoption. Have a read of the description of the meetup and I would love to see you all there, Aleks Details of the event are here: http://meetu.ps/e/FT6ZW/53GSl/f
- Blockchain's Killer App: Money? Storage? Identity? Governance? Kitties?
Blockchain technology has opened the door to the most innovation we've seen since the development of the internet & the world wide web. This meetup will be a deep dive into what the real killer app is for blockchain technology. It's a "back to fundamentals" overview of why and how the technology was developed, how the evolution of humans & society has led us to this point and why it's important to establish the foundational layer before progressing further. The dot com era was an interesting pre-cursor to alot of what's happening in the current blockchain / crypto / ICO market - so we'll also review what we can learn from that era & how we can be smart about navigating it (this time around). Lastly, we'll review what applications actually "make sense" to be built on or with blockchain technology. As a result, we're explore what projects are in the market that currently have use-cases, and what use-cases are applicable for the future. Looking forward to seeing you all there!
- Bitcoin (BTC) v Bitcoin Cash (BCH) - A Zero Sum Game??
On August 1st 2017, Bitcoin experienced a permanent hard-fork where it's blockchain split in two. This came as a result of disagreements in the Bitcoin community, on whether Bitcoin should be a store of value or cash. Although both chains share the same history, up until the hard fork, they now pursue separate scaling solutions. Bitcoin Core believes side-chains are the best way forward, while Bitcoin Cash has opted to pursue on-chain scaling through block size increases. Make no mistake, this is a winner takes all scenario that will ultimately result in the death of the inferior Bitcoin chain. At this event, you will hear our panel of Brisbane Bitcoin experts debate this topic and answer questions from the audience! Speakers: BTC - Lucas Cullen & Aleks Svetski BCH - Hayden Otto & Brendan Lee House keeping: the venue can be hard to find for first timers. Entrance is off Queen Street Mall were the old Regent theatre was. Doors lock at 6:00pm, so please be on time. If you have a problem please call or text Hayden:[masked] We will kick off the discussion at 6:30
- Stable Coins. What are they, how do they work, are they for real?
• What we'll do Stable Coins. Some say it's the holy grail..Some say it's a fantasy. We've seen good projects, bad projects, and all sorts of crazy stuff in this market - and in light of that, we're going to talk about the three main forms of Stable coin being created, which include: - Pegged - Collateralized - Debt / Equity Balance We're going to talk about our best "friend", Tether...lol....and also cover a series of other coins / projects including: Tether Real USD Maker DAO Havven Base Coin Looking forward to seeing you all there. Aleks • What to bring • Important to know
- Raiden, Lightning Network & Side Chains - Is this the Silver Bullet?
• What we'll do Hey Guys, We're co-hosting a meetup with Lucas Cullen. You can RSVP here or on the other meetup page. The promise of the Lightning Network: Transactions for the Future 1) Instant Payments. Lightning-fast blockchain payments without worrying about block confirmation times. Security is enforced by blockchain smart-contracts without creating a on-blockchain transaction for individual payments. Payment speed measured in milliseconds to seconds. 2) Scalability. Capable of millions to billions of transactions per second across the network. Capacity blows away legacy payment rails by many orders of magnitude. Attaching payment per action/click is now possible without custodians. 3) Low Cost. By transacting and settling off-blockchain, the Lightning Network allows for exceptionally low fees, which allows for emerging use cases such as instant micropayments. 4) Cross Blockchains. Cross-chain atomic swaps can occur off-chain instantly with heterogeneous blockchain consensus rules. So long as the chains can support the same cryptographic hash function, it is possible to make transactions across blockchains without trust in 3rd party custodians. BUT...Despite all the promise, there remains lots of questions around the efficacy, security, de-centrality and why it's taken so long to build. We'll have guest speakers Lucas Cullen & Aleks Svetski talk us through how Lightning Network & Raiden Networks promise to work, how they are positioned to solve some of the scalability issues for both Bitcoin & Ethereum, and also - take a look at what the limitations are of side chain solutions. We'll end the night with a Q&A. Join us for a night of extremely valuable content. Be quick to register because this meetup will definitely fill fast. • What to bring • Important to know