Massachusetts Tax Liens: Part 1 - The legal and business process
Sounds simple, right? Buy a tax lien, and sit back and collect 16% interest! Investing in tax liens is an area of real estate investing considered to be “passive” by comparison to rehabbing or rental properties, but it can be much more involved than we realize. And the returns can be variable. Do you always get the interest? Can you foreclose on the property? Do you then have clear title if you do?
Todd Rodman is a managing partner at Seder and Chandler, with a significant portion of his practice focused on tax lien law. He has over 30 years of experience in real estate law with a wide variety of clients. Ann Bellamy is a real estate investor and hard money lender, who became interested in MA tax liens and purchased a small portfolio of Worcester liens. Kathy Doyle, Ann’s partner in the venture, also branched out into Illinois liens. You will learn:
• The difference between purchasing a tax lien v. the actual real estate
• A summary of the real estate tax collection process in Massachusetts – yes, you have to understand this stuff!
• Sales and Assignments of Municipal Tax Liens by Auction – where the action is!
• The Auction Process – including premiums
• Redemption of Property purchased through the lien process
• Additional ways to buy liens via RFP and from lien investors
• What happens when you buy liens in other states
• Did you know Illinois tax liens pay 36% interest
Part 2 will be presented at a later date, and will include what happens in real life in tax lien investing: “The rest of the story”, and some “War stories” from the trenches. Who: All are welcome
What: we have the best real estate investing networking in Massachusetts, and the highest percentage of seasoned investors. No sales pitches, no selling speakers, no multi-level marketing, no memberships. $10 per person at the door, cash, paypal or credit card
Where: Garcia Brogan’s, 240 Moody St, Waltham, MA
When: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 Networking starts at 6PM, program starts at 6:30PM
· Lots of Q&A
You can order drinks and dinner at the venue, before, during and after the event. Parking out back is free after 5PM
Who: All are welcome, $10 per person at the door
What: The best real estate investing networking in Massachusetts, great topics, no selling speakers, no memberships, no meeting fees, no multi-level marketing.
Where: Garcia Brogan’s, 240 Moody St, Waltham, MA 02451
When: Tuesday TBA, 6PM Networking, 6:30PM Program starts