This group was created for men and women of African descent, of different ages located in Boston, who are at the beginning of their health journey. This group and its members will explore together a healthy way of living mind, body, and soul, we like to add fun things so that we can stay motivated and to help us grow! This is a sharing group so we want members to participate in locating people, places, and things we can do for our journey! The journey will have 7 components which are...
~Health ~Learning ~Being Spontaneous ~Games (anything that can be made into a game that helps towards our goals to have fun) ~Laughter ~Fun
~ Friendly Competition
1. Health, everything health*
*Find workout buddies and create competitive fitness games to motivate you and hold you accountable *Find cardio dance partners *Start a hair health journey together to grow healthy hair (for those who want to) *Teach and learn healthy alternatives to our favorite cultural dishes *Talk about our Bucket Lists and doing them
*Learn from each other *Learn from other professionals (such as personal trainer etc.., speakers) members may suggests *Learn from YouTube *Learn from our life skills *Learn to dance *Learn to sing *Learn anything that seems impossible! *Learn, learn, learn
3. Be Spontaneous When we say spontaneous we don't me jump out of a plane, just loosen up and be open to healthy things you haven't tried before
4. Games Members will assist in creating games to make it fun and motivate you, competitive games makes it interesting! Games will help with team building and hold you accountable.
5. Laughter Laugh even if there is nothing funny, this will create a window which allows positive energy to come your way! Laughter is therapeutic, so whatever issue anyone is going through laughter helps with the healing!
6. Fun Most of all have fun, we don't want you to come and be a dead beat this group is for members who want to change and have positive outlooks about their journey, but if you are not having fun or helping to create a fun atmosphere you are not going to benefit in this group.
7. Friendly Competition
Where ever possible we will turn workouts into friendly competitions and other things we learn into friendly competitions it will only be for those who want to do it. We will get into teams and compete in a healthy way to accomplish our workout and other goals in this group!
At times we will have a few weekly meetups other times it may be biweekly or monthly to check in and do fun workouts, games, and other fun things together!
Below is to elaborate on number
1. Health >Members, if they are able to can help teach healthy alternatives to our favorite cultural dishes like Curry Goat, Djon Djon, Fried Chicken, and Spanish Rice and Beans just to name a few. For example instead of rice you can use cauliflower rice.
If you are not a cook, an option would be as a group renting kitchen space, cook, and prep our meals together as a group.
>Cardio dance is a fun way to workout without being bored, feeling like you are working out, and you can learn how to dance! Members can have fun at the gym by taking a workout class or you can do it at home by watching a workout video, but look out cause we may just have some friendly competition to see if you learn the dance too! So if you are into other cultures dance for example whats hot now is Afro Beats that is a good workout and there are videos . There are others such as Zumba etc, but >Members who are starting a hair health journey can give hair tips and do each others hair if you are feeling up to it, (no charging).
**********IF MEMBERS IN THIS GROUP KNOW HOW TO COOK HEALTHY, DANCE, SING, LOVE COMPETITION AND CAN CREATE GAMES, CAN GIVE HEALTH AND HAIR TIPS, KNOW A LOCATION LIKE A DANCE STUDIO WITH A MIRROR :), GOOD LOCATIONS TO GET A MASSAGE (FOR THOSE WHO NEED TO GET THE ACHES AND PAINS AFTER A WORKOUT) OR ANYTHING ELSE LET US KNOW. ALL MEET UPS WILL HAPPEN IN BOSTON WHICH ARE THE CITIES LOCATED IN BOSTON.
*IF YOU ARE INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCE WITH YOUR JOURNEY PLEASE SHARE WHAT YOU DID AND OTHER TIPS TO HELP MOTIVATE OTHERS
*IT IS UP TO YOU TO KNOW YOU HEALTH LIMITS WHAT YOU CAN AND CANNOT DO, THERE FORE IF YOU HAVE INJURIES OR ANY HEALTH ISSUES PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING THAT COULD POTENTIALLY CAUSE HARM TO YOU.
The name of the group Black Fitness and Fun did not come from excluding others, but more so to look at the various cultures in our local neighbors that we want to embrace! The word fun well that is self explanatory! Cultures that are located in the neighbors that we actually don't get to know on a cultural level such as African Americans, all of the Caribbean such as Jamaicans, Haitians, Afro-Latinos, Barbados, St Croix, Martinique etc), African cultures such as Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Ethiopia just to name a few!
*If you are interested in volunteering your help or helping to organizing an event, please let us know.