addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bluegrass Canoe and Kayak Group Message Board › Canoe and Kayak

Canoe and Kayak

A former member
Post #: 8
Ok,

Now we have a central KY kayak group. It is a bit cold for our sport just now, but with proper gear and safety measures winter is just fine for boating. Our state, and the Bluegrass offers many nice placed for canoe and kayak outings.

I would like to know what all of you would like to have on our agenda. What type of trips etc. I suspect that there will be levels of trips, easy to hard, short to long, etc. and would like to get some feedback on what the general interests are.

Thank everyone for you intererst.

Malcolm

A former member
Post #: 13
I would like to see a variety of trips, river, lake, day and kayak camping.
Laurel lake has boat in camp areas, could make a nice weekend.
Cedar creek lake has lots of wildlife areas to explore.
Small as it is, Owlsley fork in Berea has lots of wildlife as is good for an afternoon on the water. I have seen eagle and osprey there on a regular basis.
Greyson lake is a little further away but is fantastic in the spring and has a variety of different waterscapes to experience.
Winter boating is fine with me so long as everyone is aware of safety. A lot of the lakes are more peaceful in the winter with less power boat traffic. Barren river Lake is an opportunity to see sandhill cranes from the water ( in February).
We've needed a central ky group for a long time. Thank you to Malcom for getting this going.
dan b.
user 23933082
Glasgow, KY
Post #: 10
I'm on the same page as Michelle. I like rivers and lakes of all sizes, day trips and kayak camping. I don't do swift/whitewater. Both Cedar Creek Lake and Grayson Lake are near the top of my "to do" list and Laurel Lake is one of my favorites. There is a lot of great paddling on the Kentucky River in the vicinity of Ft. Boonesboro to High Bridge. Would Herrington Lake be a good place for early season paddling? I'm thinking it might be an option before the power boaters take over and when the water is too high on the rivers. I get out year round in what I think of as mild weather, 40 degrees or so and above. I'm not totally hardcore.
What is our web address or URL? I can only access the site via the original email I received.
A former member
Post #: 9
I just called it Bluegrass Canoe and Kayak Group under the "Meet-Up" banner.

Ya, Grayson Lake is tops for me. Especially the Little Sandy above the main lake. Some beautiful paddling in there.
A former member
Post #: 14
Sounds like a Grayson Lake weekend could be in the works.
I like the little Sandy area, as well as Swifty boat ramp area.
Not a big fan of the main lake with the bass boat traffic.
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 56
I do regular day trips on the Kentucky River...pool 8, 7 (incl. Dix River), and 6 mainly, 9 and others occasionally.
Would like to do Tygarts Creek, only seen photos.
Looking to do more multiday camping trips. Did Dale Hollow last year, want to do Green River, Grayson sounds good.
Cedar Creek Lake is about a mile from my sister's house, but I've never kayaked it yet.
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 57
Oh, yeah, in general, I like 8-18 mile day trips, generally in the 3.5-4 mph average speed. Just getting started with kayak camping. Like class II and III whitewater, but generally am going with BWA members on most of those trips. Paddle all year round. Have drysuit, will paddle until the water turns solid.
A former member
Post #: 15
Don, some folks might be interested. There is a Tygart creek paddle on Jan 26 sponsored by Carter Caves state park during their Winter Adventure weekend. I'm not doing the creek paddle, I'm going caving instead but I have done this paddle in the spring and it it well worth it.
I will take the kayak with me in case I find time to paddle grayson or cave run while I'm there.
Michelle
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 58
Anyone familiar with the Laurel Lake boat in camping areas? Might be an option early in the season before power boats take over. Looks like they don't open until May. How about the Dale Hollow camping areas? I've camped at two, and seen one other. Some were primitive, some semi-primitive. Can't seem to find a list of which are which. Supposedly you can back country camp at Cave Run, but maybe have to stay 300ft off the lake? I car camped at Zilpo a few years ago, before I was kayaking.

I can volunteer to do some scouting during the week since I'm retired. I bet Dan would too.
A former member
Post #: 16
I think you can primative camp at Laurel as well. That would be fun to do a couple of days paddling around the lake and camping, early in the season would be great.