Gamers@Dockers meet up every Thursday at the Good Games store. Entry is free, what more can you ask for!
Gamers@Dockers welcomes anybody who wants to have a fun night playing some modern, mostly strategic, board games. There are absolutely no rules around what we play, however you are more likely to stumble across us playing Eurogames than anything else (see below for details).
Gamers@Dockers was born in 2004 and has continued as a weekly event ever since. In 2013 it relocated from its historical place of residence in the Docklands to its current location. The name may no longer make sense, but its part of the charm.
Did I mention its free and that its every Thursday to satisfy that gaming itch!
When should I get there?
Dockers starts around 6 pm (with most people, like me, arriving 6:30 pm) and continues until Good Games closes (usually around 11 pm).
We typically allow plenty of time for people to arrive and play lots of short 5 to 30 minute games until around 7 pm when we kick off the longer games.
If you think you will arrive later than 7 pm it helps to let us know to avoid missing out.
Just look for the people with board games in front of them and there's a fair chance its Gamers@Dockers - just ask - or join in any game being played...really, its all pretty open.
Good Games is actually open much earlier than 6 pm if you want to arrive early and make a day of it.
Games we play...
As I said, we mostly play Eurogames.
• What does that mean? Click here (http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group-party-and-strategy-games/pages/Euro_Games_%3F_What_are_they_%3F).
• Still not sure, check out the games we play here (http://www.melbournegamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1503).
We tend to be a fairly experienced bunch of gamers and there are so many new games coming out all the time that we tend to not play many of the beginner or gateway games such as: Ticket To Ride, Settlers of Catan, or Carcassone. However, almost every week we are trying out a new game, so we are very willing to teach games and we are more than happy to have new players along to learn how to play with us. Who knows what awesome new game you haven't tried yet.
We do also play more thematic and luck orientated games, it just depends on the night.
The only sort of games you aren't likely to see are the general mass market or party games such as Monopoly, Pictionary, Jenga or Risk. You are welcome to come along and play them, but we probably won't join in, and we are more than happy to teach you something new and exciting instead.
Good Games has its own regular attendees often playing Magic, tabletop miniature or Role Playing Games - so feel free to try out anything.
Directions, Parking and Other Useful Information
Good Games: 365 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
• The entrance is slightly obscure, opposite JB Hi-Fi, between YHA Travel and Deans Art.
• Good Games is upstairs on the First Floor.
• There is an elevator for disabled access, or lugging up games.
• Street parking available, however it is metered until at least 7:30pm (approx. $5.50 per hour) and the meters are only 1 hour meters.
• There are multi storey car parks close by with all night parking for $6 from 5pm. Book online at Wilson Parking (https://www.wilsonparking.com.au/book-a-bay) 200 Queen Street and it's only $3.50.
• There are snack foods, drinks and ice-creams sold in the store (at pretty reasonable prices).
• Please respect that this is a place of business, however there are plenty of friendly gamers in here either as part of Dockers or as part of Good Games regular customers.