Weekend ride to Givens Hot Springs and back. A fun, scenic, and relatively mild bike tour. This date is tentative but between my schedule and rides already scheduled, this is likely the weekend. But if enough people prefer a different weekend I'll see if I can make it work-- leave a comment.
Potential itinerary / highlights:
• Lunch in Kuna
• Purchase provisions for evening/morning at Walter's Ferry
• Wacky outdoor museum at Walters Ferry
• Camping on lawn at Givens
• Hot spring soak
• Lunch in Melba
• Travel through some of Boise and Kuna's prime day riding routes
This is about a 100 mile round trip ride, make sure you're comfortable with two back-to-back loaded 50-milers. Most of the roads are rural with light traffic but some of the ride is on highway with varying shoulder width. This is a bona fide bike tour, not a greenbelt run. The route is relatively flat except for the descent into / climb out of the Snake River plain. The climb out is short but steep, up to maybe a 7% grade.
It's a great trip for kids-- I've pulled mine many times in various trailers and tagalongs (it's a pretty serious workout for mom or dad though). My now 16-year-old has ridden it solo twice now (one way) without any problems.
Most forms of human-powered vehicle are welcome, including pedal-assist electric bikes. No internal-combustion assist please.
Camping at Givens costs around $20 per tent and includes access to the hot springs. They also offer a couple cabins and trailers for rent.
• Good tires with lots of tread
• Spare tube (one for each tire size if recumbent)
• Pump and tube repair kit
• Enough water to cover 30 miles
• Enough food on board to avoid bonking. There are services along the way to avoid carrying more than that.
• Good cycling etiquette and vehicular cycling technique. Let me know if anyone needs a refresher.
• Sharing a tent and cooking equipment will save you $20 and lighten your load
I'll ride to the starting point to avoid leaving a car behind. Starting at the Payette Brewing parking lot along the greenbelt seemed to work OK last year, will plan on that again unless someone has a better suggestion.
• Wacky Museum (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g35529-d8341556-r281212079-Cleo_s_Ferry_Museum_and_Nature_Trail-Melba_Idaho.html)
• Map (https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1aUc5JDAr9IzctiIDVE2fwO-ak80&ll=43.42292712578037%2C-116.45025625151368&z=11)
Option: If 100 miles seems like a long weekend, consider starting/ending in Kuna to chop it in roughly half. Judy organized this option one year and the two groups met in Kuna for lunch and completed the ride together. I won't be doing that and I'm not sure about Judy but it's an option if someone wants to organize it.
Here's the route we (mostly) used last year. There are as many possible routes to Givens as there are people in this meetup, folks are free to choose any route they desire. I'll stick with anyone who'd rather just follow. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aUc5JDAr9IzctiIDVE2fwO-ak80&usp=sharing (different routes each way).
Meetup rejected the turnsheet I had attached, I can send it to anyone who's interested. Be descriptive but don't exceed 5500 characters-- thanks Meetup.