Dr. Ramnath Vaidyanathan is an Assistant Professor of Operations Management at McGill University in Montreal. He has developed two R packages, Slidify and rCharts, both aimed at simplifying the creation and sharing of interactive web-based content with R; and also rNotebook. This event will focus mostly on rCharts. Dr. Vaidyanathan holds a PhD in Operations Management from the Wharton School, and has worked at McKinsey and Company.
The $4 is both for (1) a "thank you" to Dr. Vaidyanathan as he will be traveling to us from Montreal (i.e. help cover travel expenses!), and (2) to crowdfund pizza.
On the packages and event - Dr. Vaidyanathan has created:
• Slidify, which allows the creation of HTML5-based presentations using Markdown and R
• rNotebook, an enhanced version of the KnitR Notebook, which allows you to see your Rmarkdown document and the formatted HTML instantaneously side-by-side
• Please see the rCharts Gallery for many examples and code
• Please see the rCharts Playground to try a handful of examples
• rCharts is available through GitHub. To install rCharts.
# first install devtools if you don't already have it already installed
install_github('rCharts', 'ramnathv', ref = 'dev')
Examples from the rCharts site:
## Example 1 Facetted Scatterplot
names(iris) = gsub("\\.", "", names(iris))
rPlot(SepalLength ~ SepalWidth | Species, data = iris, color = 'Species', type = 'point')
## Example 2 Facetted Barplot
hair_eye = as.data.frame(HairEyeColor)
rPlot(Freq ~ Hair | Eye, color = 'Eye', data = hair_eye, type = 'bar')