addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Boston French Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Skin rash, small dry bumps...

Skin rash, small dry bumps...

A former member
Post #: 4
Anyone ever see their dog with something like this?
About 2 weeks back I had to bathe him numerous times due to a flea scare. Now I am seeing some bumps that appear to be just raised dry patches (red under the hair). Anyone know what this might be?
Suggestions on perhaps soothing or ridding?
I also had been letting him submerge himself into JP Pond. Hope he did not pick something up there.
Robin
RobinBlaine
Kingston, NH
Post #: 17
Colleen, it sounds like flea bites or an allergy. All it takes is one flea in the house to produce hundreds. After you bathed him did you treat the house? Is he on flea meds? Also, how old is he? Do you think it possible to post a picture? Have you given him any new food/treats lately? Sorry for so many questions but I can't help you with an appropriate response without more info...Good Luck!
A former member
Post #: 5
Oh well goodness thank you for responding to my post. Perhaps it is flea bites from almost 3 weeks ago. I had taken him to Upstate NY, where my mother lives and the fleas where up there. So I bathed him like 5 or 4 times before coming back to Boston, and about 3 more times on the span of a week to make sure he did not bring any back with him.
So I am not sure if this could be bites from 2 weeks back, or perhaps it is irritation of this skin due to all of the shampooing I had to put him through?
He is on Frontline - has been for about 4 months. He is 7 months old. I did give him some treats about 10 days or so ago that we have already eaten through. Maybe it was those? So hard to pinpoint. I highly doubt I could post a pic. He does not sit still long enough. I noticed these like 4 days ago, normally his coat is smooth and I noticed small bumps. I seperated the hair and all that is there is a raised patch of pinkish red skin. Not perfectly rounded.
This is hard to pinpoint! smile
Thanks for the help!
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Colleen,
Sorry to hear your little guy is having skin trouble. Is he scratching/chewing at it?

In my house, with four dogs, it is rare that someone doesn't have a scratch, lump, bump , sore spot or scab. My general rule of thumb is that most things should be well on there way to healing or completely resolved in 7 to 10 days. I watch them all and check them over everyday ( because petting 4 dogs is good therapy :o) If a spot is getting bigger, draining, spreading or losing fur they go to the vets ( yes, I have them on speed dial).

5 baths in a week sounds like a LOT of baths and may have simply been very drying, especially if they were flea dips. For his next Frontline dose remember that it works by using their own natural skin oils, so you may want to wait a bit until he has some built back up ( I switched to K9 Advantix this year because it also repels Mosquitos, and one of my dogs had a very ugly skin outbreak to Frontline). My littlest guy has had a few irritations, dry skin, wasps stings, etc. I found Aveno Oatmeal baths ( the one for humans, you get it from the Pharmacy, it is 100% collated Oatmeal ) relieved his itching and scratching, made his fur REALLY soft/clean and smells good too.
Anyhow, hope that helps some. That's what we do in our house, but someone with more experience may have better ideas.
Good Luck, and let us know how things turn out.
Carolyn
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi there,

The same thing is happening with our 7 month old pup. At first it looked like hives but after a week or so it drys out and looks like small red scabs under the fur. He also developed skin lesions on his lower belly. We've taken him to vet several times and put him on antibiotics. It got better but then couple weeks after, he broke out in Hives again so the vet put him on antibiotics again. It's gotten significantly better. We ruled out food allergies and fleas. We are starting to think it's a contact allergy because he used to like to roll around the grass alot. We've changed his diet to EVO and raw just in case it was a food allergy so for now, we just try to have him avoid rolling in the grass and we wipe him down with a wet towel after each walk. I suggest that you take him to the vet so they can prescribe some oatmeal shampoo to help with the itching or some ointment for skin lesions(if you have any) Hopefully once our little guy is done with his antibiotics, it doesn't come back! He rolled around the grass yesterday but we wiped him down once he got back in the house and we haven't seen a outbreak yet so fingers crossed. Do you have any pimple like bumps on his belly or legs?