addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Brompton Bicycle Club Message Board › Worth removing the rack and fenders?

Worth removing the rack and fenders?

A former member
Post #: 21
I signed up to do the Bike MS ride on June 8th on the Brompton. It's either going to be 30 or 60 miles. Considering my lack of training and poor physical conditioning, I'm leaning more towards the 30. Anyway, I was wondering if it was worth removing the rack and fenders on the bike to make it lighter? Would it even make any sort of difference? Recommendations or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

http://main.nationalm...­

Thanks,
Jason
lloydjason@gmail.com
A former member
Post #: 76
If you ride in sunshine all the time the mudguards may be unnecessary, otherwise riding with a wet and muddy strip right up your back and down your legs is not a nice way to travel. The fastest way to make a bike lighter is to sort out your luggage and then check out you own waistline. The rack is a very useful part of the bike when it comes to parking and wheeling it around folded.

If you want to faster and more responsive bike sort out the tyres - Primos or Kojaks (but be aware that you get less puncture resistance) and keep them pumped up to sensible pressures - typically 100 psi for slicks.
A former member
Post #: 22
Thanks Dave! Unfortunately the waist-size is rather large, and I don't think magically it will change in the next month. I also tend to over pack the bags on the B.