addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Brooklyn Drum Circles Message Board › Recap of Middle Eastern Playshop-Drum and Dance.

Recap of Middle Eastern Playshop-Drum and Dance.

Brian
user 3000719
Group Organizer
Asheville, NC
Hello Groovelanders,

We had a great time this past Sunday at our Middle Eastern Playshop-Drum and Dance.  I started off by teaching the two main sounds on the dumbek, the dum (bass) and the tek (hi).  Then I taught the group 4 commonly used rhythms in belly dance drum solos, Malfuf, Masmudi, Maksum and Zaar/Ayub.  The group learned one at time, adding each new one on to the previous one learned, until they could play all 4 in a row.  I played some solo phrases over the Malfuf and Maksum while the group was laying down each rhythm. 

This group sounded great together.  Not only did they pick up the rhythms fast, some members brought frame drums, riqs and their own Alexandria dumbeks, which made for a nice, colorful instrumentation.

BIG THANKS to everyone who RSVP'd and came out to make it a great event!!!

In our next Middle Eastern Playshop-Drum and Dance on the 27th, I'll be reviewing the aforementioned rhythms, teaching /reviewing the Ka stroke AND we'll be practicing with real, live belly dancers!!!! 

Next BDC's

Recreational Drum Circle (details soon)

Sunday, February 13th, 1-3pm

Middle Eastern Playshop-Drum and Dance

Sunday, February 27th, 2-4pm
A former member
Post #: 1
I am definitely in for the 27th. I usually work Sundays but am off that day!