Greetings BVCers! My name is Troy, I would like start a meetup for novice to intermediate players, and you seasoned players too!
I hosted Saturday mornings ~5 years ago at the Yankee Clipper, now the Hilton, for beginners\novice and intermediate players, so now I'm available Sundays to host again!
Parking: There's metered parking in the parking lot, we’re playing at the south end of the lot, next to the Hilton (you’ll see a big blue capital letter B on the Hilton).
Gear and Necessities: Liquids!!! Water, Gatorade, Refreshments or your favorite libation. Snacks are a good idea too! It is getting cooler, but socks or sand socks are a good idea for hot sand. Sunscreen too!
What to expect... It's a been few years of playing frequently for me so I'll be practicing good volleyball habits, fundamentals and skills along with you!
Rules: Yes, there are rules!
1. Receiving the served volleyball must be played with a closed two-handed hit or bump.
2. No net contact (even if it's an accident\unintended).
3. No opponent contact under or over the net (even if it's an accident\unintended).
4. No two handed or double hits.
5. Hand sets with less than one full rotation (more about that later).
6. No hand sets over the net, it's a set (even if it's an accident\unintended).
Other differences for beach volleyball:
A. Service net contact is a good serve and is a ball in play.
B. The ball can be played out\off the net (no player net contact).
C. You may use any part of the body (head, foot, chicken-wing (elbow)) to play the ball with a single hit\strike.
D. Rally scoring.
E. Ideally teams will be threes (triangle) and fours (diamond).
Keep in mind, TRUE beach volleyball is two vs. two, and with some coaching and practice we'll play be playing 2s with the locals.
I hope to see attendees, and maybe some familiar faces!
So, let's BUMP! SET! SPIKE! Woohoo!