This talk will discuss the problem of using the game of StarCraft (and its successor StarCraft II) as a research environment for AI. The presentation will consist of two main parts:
• Discussion of the recent work done by Facebook AI Research on StarCraft micromanagement tasks  and the soon to be released TorchCraft library .
• Keynote on StarCraft as a testbed for general artificial intelligence, in which I will address the numerous challenges posed by this game, from the perspective of an AI researcher and former professional StarCraft player.
Main Reading Materials:
•  Episodic Exploration for Deep Deterministic Policies for StarCraft Micromanagement - https://openreview.net/forum?id=r1LXit5ee
Additional Reading Materials:
•  TorchCraft: a Library for Machine Learning Research on Real-Time Strategy Games (white paper) - https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.00625
•  A Survey of Real-Time Strategy Game AI Research and Competition in StarCraft - https://hal.inria.fr/file/index/docid/871001/filename/survey.pdf
Speaker: Ionel Hosu