addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Buffalo Hiking Club Message Board › My sabbatical

My sabbatical

Maggie
user 12765498
Hamburg, NY
Post #: 3
Good luck with everything Gary...miss your hikes! We'll be watching for an update the end of the month.
Gary
WNYTrails
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 245
Thanks Maggie.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to convince the doc to do the re-surfacing. He didn't say no, but he said it was not the best option because I need both hips done and then both knees have to be replaced if I want to continue my activities. So I'm getting the left hip done in June (the earliest he could scheduled it). Next year he'll do the right hip, and then the knees after that.

He assured me that I'll be able to backpack and hike after recovery from each of the operations, and that I can backpack and hike before the upcoming hip operation because I can't do any more damage to that joint. So I'm going to get a third hip injection in 2 weeks hopping to get enough relief to go hiking between now and June.

A former member
Post #: 22
I'm sorry that you have to go through all of this, and that it seems to be taking forever. However, I'm looking forward to hiking with you again soon!
Once they finish replacing you, piece by piece, you should be as good as new!
We all miss you...take care.
Maggie
user 12765498
Hamburg, NY
Post #: 4
Well, now you know what the plan of action is. One step at a time (pun intended...), a little patience and perseverance and you'll be back on the trail! Thanks for the update.
Maureen A
user 24506112
Kennedy, NY
Post #: 203
Gary, You are a work in progress! Wishing the best for your recovery & return to hiking.
Angie K.
user 51500112
Erie, PA
Post #: 9
Oh, Gary, I'm sorry this has to be such a long drawn out process for you. I hope the injection will give you enough relief so that you can hike this spring. Have you considered hiring a few muscular guys to carry you through the woods on a litter? You could then direct the bushwacks from your throne. Just a thought. Looking forward to hiking with you.
A former member
Post #: 23
That's so funny, Angie! I can envision that . It would be so cool!
Gary
WNYTrails
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 246
I don't need anything fancy. and forget the guys, this will work just fine:

A former member
Post #: 24
That's hilarious!
Those leopard dresses don't really look like proper hiking attire, though. smile
Angie K.
user 51500112
Erie, PA
Post #: 10
Gary, if you get those gals to carry you through the woods I fear you may never want to navigate on your own! It's quite obvious where they are carrying their 2 liters of water but where do you suppose they have their compasses, whistles, fireproof matches, first aid kit, etc???