addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Buffalo Hiking Club Message Board › I can't wait to get back on the trail

I can't wait to get back on the trail

Angie K.
user 51500112
Erie, PA
Post #: 12
WOW!! Look, Mom, no hands! Great to know that you are making such good progress. I'm sure your tremendous physical condition contributes a lot to that. Hey, maybe you can soon bring your rollator and do a short distance on a flat, easy trail with us.
A former member
Post #: 38
Great idea, Angie! Maybe Reinstein!
So glad that you are making good progress, Gary!
Gary
WNYTrails
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 262
today is 3-weeks since the surgery. I've extended my exercise walks to 1 1/4 miles for the longest. I can walk without the aid of a cane or walker, but I take the rollator on my longer walks so that I'll have a place to to sit when I get tired. Going up the hills in my neighborhood has not been a problem, but coming down the two steepest ones seemed a bit sketchy to me so I'm going up them but walking over a block to the less steep incline for the return.

Biggest annoyance is the movement restrictions I have to follow for another 3 weeks to get past the high risk period for dislocation. I never thought not being able to bend past 90 degrees would be such a hassle. I have a dozen of those pickup stick devices scattered throughout the house. On several occasions I have had to retrieve a second pickup stick to pickup the first one that I dropped.

This has gone so well that I have scheduled the other hip for replacement in September. The plan is to give the new hips a full year of hiking and snowshoeing stating in the spring of 2015 to see if the new hips will allow me to put off replacement of the knees. If not, then the first knee gets done in the spring of 2016.

Due to the fact that I won't be leading any hikes until next spring, I'm going to post a series of suggested hikes for other members to use for meetups, and hopefully some members will step up to lead those hikes (or their own devised hikes) to keep the club active.
A former member
Post #: 39
It sounds like everything is healing up better than expected! Such great news! Looking forward to hiking with you again. smile
Angie K.
user 51500112
Erie, PA
Post #: 13
Good to hear you are making such great progress!
Gary
WNYTrails
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 263
4 weeks since the surgery. I did a 2.5 mile walk around the neighborhood today. The replaced hip feels great. My other joints are a bit sore because I wore sneakers and walked most of the 2.5 miles on pavement. I think if I been on ground and wearing hiking boots I wouldn't have any joint pain.

Angie K.
user 51500112
Erie, PA
Post #: 14
Meet up with us and give your theory a try!
A former member
Post #: 40
Angie's right! We could meet and do a short, easy hike... maybe at Reinstein Woods?
Gary
WNYTrails
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 264
Reinstein would be a good test - but I need to wait until the 6 week mark. My surgeon said that the implant needs at least 6 weeks for bone to form around it sufficiently to eliminate most of the risk of dislocation. If I fell or tripped and dislocated the hip while hiking during the first 6 weeks he would probably cut off my leg for being an idiot.
A former member
Post #: 41
Lol! Well, we certainly don't want THAT to happen!