addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Buffalo WordPress Users Message Board › Looking forward to the meetup tonight!

Looking forward to the meetup tonight!

Ben D.
user 10172819
Buffalo, NY
If you have any suggestions for topics, please send them around.

I'd like to explore the basics of a WP theme-explain the pieces and how they fit together.
Chris Van P.
ChrisVanPatten
Astoria, NY
Post #: 2
That's a great topic. I'm not sure how technical the group gets, but lately I've been interested in smarter theme architecture (no HTML tag breaking across files, better use of get_template_part, fewer inline conditionals, etc.) and it might be nice to discuss that sort of thing as I think it often gets ignored or forgotten.

Another area that I'm interested in is the simple enhancements you can accomplish with your functions.php file instead of installing bulky plugins. If there's interest, I can show off my functions files and share some ways I customize WordPress installs while keeping my plugin count down thus reducing external security risks.

It might also be nice to discuss how to jump into contributing to WordPress, especially now that the 3.4 dev cycle is ramping up. Ben - I know you're a contributor to the UI.... I've had the hardest time jumping into contributing to the UI group and maybe you could help me figure out some ways to do that!
Ben D.
user 10172819
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 4
Chris, it was great seeing you at the last meetup. Sorry we didn't get to looking at your functions.php last time; I actually just read this message. I agree that you should jump at chance you get to eliminate plugins. Let's take a look tomorrow evening.