addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buffalo Gamers Society! Message Board RPG Campaign & Delve Night Discussions › Wesley Young's "The Struggle of Nations"

Wesley Young's "The Struggle of Nations"

A former member
Post #: 65
Hey guys,

Just had a thought. Wes has mentioned the combination of a spy and an assassin for use in political maneuvering in this thread. I wonder if we can take this a step further and create something like a Mission Impossible/ Gov't sanctioned Thieves' Guild type of thing. We could all submit a non-combative character to be part of an elite troop specializing in political espionage, theft, rabble-rousing, or any number of covert activities. I really like this idea personally. If we're building a nation, the story could be something like this: as founders, agents, or even usurpers of the state, we discover and disarm a Thieves' Guild operating within our jurisdiction. In exchange for immunity, they are converted to the elite team in service to the crown. I envision kind of an Italian Job, the Oceans movies, or that show Leverage type group where everyone has their particular role such as assassin, grifter, grease-man, magical trap handler, communications (a diviner perhaps?), demolitions, etc etc. I think it would be really fun to pull a job or two with these characters as a single session or encounter break from the main characters and storyline. Would help to keep things fresh I think. Anyway, just an idea. Any thoughts?
Wesley D. Y.
user 6127759
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,020
Is this going to be a bi-weekly Saturday game again? I may be able to get in on this if I can convince my friends to switch to Fridays. I really do want to play with different people just to see different GM styles and how other people interact. Kinda getting sick of people playing with their cell phones at our table. It gets very distracting and I find it wholly disrespectful to the GM.

Yeah, it's gonna be bi-weekly, and all the slots are currently full. I guess you could watch...?
Joshua R.
LordOfWar
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 36
Its taken me awhile but i have developed a background for my character Turin Allard also a description of Turin's Homeland

Turin was born in a small almost mid sized kingdom, Its Culture would be most derivative Germany specifically Bavaria during the Time of The Holy Roman Empire before the 30 years war the kingdoms in this region are often at war with each other, rarely is their more then a decade of peace. There are alot of Kingdoms, and Barony's within this area. in actuality these kingdoms and baronies are part of a greater empire, (like the holy roman empire) but the Emperor himself wields very little political power, (at least in this region). It reality this "Empire" is really just a loose confederation kingdoms that would only unite if some one tried to invade them. However the surrounding states know if these kingdoms ever united they could easily overwhelm and conquer the sounding states within less then a decade. So the surrounding Kingdoms often claim neutrality but secretly prompt and fiance wars within this empire, to prevent any sort of unification. Turin's half elf linage can be attributed to the fact that the kingdom that he was raised in was bordered by Elven nation.
This region Intelligence and skill in warfare are valued along with discipline

Turin was not born into a happy household he was the product of an affair between an Elven ambassador and The 3rd Prince of the Kingdom, He was born in his Mother's homeland but she died during Childbirth and she had no relatives so he was sent to live with his father, when Turin's grandfather found out about his birth His father who was once 3rd in line for the Kingdoms throne was demoted to 11th in line for that he resented (or at least that's what Turin thought) Turin. He completely ignored Turin, as he was growing up, and barely acknowledged his exsitince ( at least that's what Turin thought) his step mother was extremely abusive to him often going out of her way to make his life miserable. However his Half Brother Fredrick often would defend him from his step mothers abusive behavior, and was really the only one who showed Turin any sort of kindness. because Turin was a bastard child he was kept out of public view he never really played with other children he did however learn to read, his father had an extensive library in which Turin learned about mathematics the arcane arts military tactics and engineering, he read stories about great warriors and adventures and he dreamed he would one day he would not only become a great warrior but also a great wizard. It was his brother Fredrick that taught him how to use a blade, rather then utilizing brute strength in battle he taught Turin to use his natural dexterity to fight. Turin worshiped his brother, he was a great warrior he was intelligent, cunning, Kind and outspoken. This trait got Fredrick into trouble and would lead to his death. Fredrick was a firm believer in personal freedom, he believed that the common mass should have a say in government, he believed Guilds were unjust and forced the common people to overpay for goods and made it difficult for individual craftsman to make money in profession, and diluted their capabilities to advance their craft. He believed Clerical control over places of learning were also unable to advance because of Clerical control. Fredrick wrote treatises and pamphlets on these subject, but because Fredrick was a member of the Royal Family he was tolerated, but when he tried to begin a grass roots revolution is when Fredrick paid the price for his radical ideas, He was executed in high profile public beheading the revolution was quickly quelled and Turin was devastated, But Turin was smart enough to realize that if he took up his brothers mantle he would suffer the same fate, although Turin loved his older brother and agreed with his ideas he knew that given the circumstances of this age Fredrick's dreams would be nigh impossible to achieve. So Turin focused on honing his combat skills and mind, Turin was accepted into a Military Academy were he would be recommended for the Magus program, which would train him to join the countries Elite Magi Division as an Officer. However Turin's first year in the academy His kingdom was attacked by a neighboring Kingdom who sought to take advantage of his kingdoms weakness (apparently Fredrick's revolution had weakened the kingdom more then it would appear) it only took a 6 months for the war to reach the capital, The academy was attacked and Turin was captured by mercenaries, who enslaved despite only being a cadet Turin was still a valuable commodity that could be sold to any gladiatorial arena for a good price. Turin did not know how long he traveled or where he was he didn't know if his kingdom was still intact (it is not Turin's kingdom was defeated outright and lost sovereignty.)

Turin could careless about the fate of his kingdom the only reason he took up a military career was to gain enough experience and money to start life as an adventurer, where he could travel to distant lands learn new combat techniques and more powerful magic, he also hoped to try new ales lagers and mead, meet women and acquire vast riches then when he was rich and powerful enough make his brothers dreams a reality.

So Turin has some short term goals which is: adventure, study, explore, fornicate, drink and acquire riches. But his long term and secret goal is to transform the social political and economic fabric of the world. Turin hopes that people will gain a false perception of him as a rowdy adventurer unconcerned with politics and the world around him, thus allowing him to manipulate the political arena form behind the scenes without drawing attention to himself he realized his brothers mistake was he was to outspoken and to public about his ideals. Turin will only share his ideas with close friends and people he knows he can trust and he knows that this grand plan will take decades to flourish truth be told he barely has a plan as it is he is enslaved he need to first get out of this situation also he has no money and he knows at his current level he is not very powerful.

Well Turin's goals may make him look shady and conniving he really is a pleasant fellow he is polite, friendly and always willing to help those in need, even if there is little reward in it. He values personal freedom and believes people have a right to speak freely about any subject matter. but Turin is not stupid but he is impulsive. he speaks he also incredibly tolerant he does not care about anyone's race or creed or culture its there character what matters to him (no pun intended)
John G.
user 4700290
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 96
I'm favoring a half-elven Monk/ Sorceror at this point, probably aiming for Monk / Dragon Disciple in time.

Samir Tyberl: Also an illegitimate child (daddy was an Elven spell-caster with two big appetites: visiting new places and Human women), who did some traveling of his own when young. This is perhaps why he likes to ravel light.

When Samir grew tired of the hectic traveler's life, he joined the monastery for its stability and discipline. However, along with his pointy ears he also inherited his father's love of magic, so he plans to hone that too.

Obviously, we don't know how he starts the campaign in captivity (yet). Perhaps his monastery was overrun by slavers, or perhaps he was waylaid while running errands for the monastery.
Wesley D. Y.
user 6127759
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,025
No game on July 16th - Wesley needs a vacation. =)
Wesley D. Y.
user 6127759
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,027
Awesome character details so far guys! Just remember to email me those specific stats when you get them finalized - I need to write them onto special quick reference cards. =)
Kevin N
user 6519902
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 123
Seraphim Back Story

Birth and death are written in the bones, but
bones can be broken

Seraphim story is a sad. Her mother died during the birth while her father was away fight a necromancer (he was a ranger paladin) were he didn’t survive either. Now with no family the Half-Elf midwife known as the “white necromancers” took Seraphim to her house in the woods. There Seraphim gained her two passions the love animals, nature and the love of her God Pharasma. With time she learned to channel Pharasma power over life and death. She would have been happy with this and her only friend a raven she named Edgar. But fate wouldn’t have it. Always at odd with trappers and hunters she was captured by them and sold into slavery this is were her story really begins.

She a Human and will be a Cleric/ Fighter (mostly channeling feats)

Kevin B.
Turlock
Medina, NY
Post #: 94
She a Human and will be a Cleric/ Fighter (mostly channeling feats)

Fantastic! Both of the classes that you've chosen for your character's dual class are extremely useful and much needed for our party! =)
Joshua R.
LordOfWar
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 40
modifying Turin a little bit he is starting out as a magus but he will take some levels in fighter (bonus feats will be helpful) plus the extra hit points couldn't hurt when i get fighter training at level 11 i will be able to grab some nifty combat techs i also did a 20 level progression which is you take your first level character and simulate how far you would get if you made it to level 20 and when i added in the right levels of fighter instead of 13 feats i would get 17 feats allowing me to take more Magus Arcana and Extra Arcana as well as some cool fighter feats
Kevin B.
Turlock
Medina, NY
Post #: 96
Ok, time for a little background on my character. =)

Teal Bluewing was born and raised deep within the woodland realm of Alfheim…. a massive all-forest island nation (almost more of a continent than an island really). The entire island is covered in trees with the elves living among the boughs and limbs of the forest canopy. Below the elven treetop society, on the forest floor, live various groups of Witches and Druids. Alfheim is the heart of Elven civilization.

Though vast, consisting of literally tens of millions of square acres, it is fiercely guarded by the elves and no enemy has ever taken control of even one square acre of the immense woodland realm. Foes of nature greatly fear Alfheim because ANY force that means to degrade or has intent to destroy the natural world is dealt with immediately and fiercely as the woodland elves, along with the island’s witches and druids, defend their realm with all the ferocity of a female bear defending her cubs. Even evil dragons are noticed to fly over the water out around the edges of Alfheim or, if they pass over the island, fly at such a great altitude as to look like the tiniest of finches. Any enemy coming near any part of Alfheim is met with a hail of arrows so great in number and fired with such velocity and accuracy that it is said the arrow shafts protrude from them like fur from an arctic fox! Even if one had the ability to avoid the rain of arrows they would still have to face the hexes and spells of the world’s mightiest witches and druids, not to mention the assault of the dual-weapon wielding elven rangers who are almost as deadly in melee as they are with their ranged attacks!

Since the beginning of time elves have dwelled in Alfheim and it has been untouched by the outside world. There are a couple of reasons the forest island’s residents are so well able to defend their woodland home.

First, the greatest rangers, druids, and witches in the entire world come from the ranks of the famed woodland’s populous that call the forested island their home. Their training and techniques are not only a closely guarded secret but are vigorous and last for years upon years. Only one with the lengthy lifespan of an elf (or the divinely extended years of life given to the carefully selected non-fey residents) can even hope to live long enough to complete their training and wear the famous leaf cloaks that are a hallmark of the rangers and druids of Alfheim.

Secondly, upon the completion of their training (which is rumored to be approximately 200 years for a ranger and 400 for a druid or witch), they receive a gift of immeasurable value! The witches are given an obscure talisman that is shrouded in secrecy, the druids receive a masterwork staff, and the rangers are gifted with a masterwork composite greatbow. All of these gifts are made from the wood of the island’s most sacred tree. Little is known of these trees by the “outside world” other than the bark is almost white in appearance. This hallowed tree is the most revered icon of nature by the elves and only grows within the borders of Alfheim. The trees grow to enormous size (think of the sacred tree in the movie Avatar) and cutting one down is punishable by death! They are said to possess deep nature magic, which is why their wood is so prized for the making of weapons as well as magic wands, staffs, talismans, and a small number of other items. The island’s residents only use the wood from limbs and branches that were carefully removed and replaced with a healing paste and magic spells. No sacred tree is ever killed or cut down.

The unparalleled training of the forest island nation’s denizens, combined with the possession of bows, staffs, and talismans made from the sacred magical wood of the ancient white tree, are the main two reasons that the rangers, druids, and witches that hail from Alfheim have few equals.

The island is said to hold another secret. A dark secret that only a few select elders know about….a mystery cloaked in shadow.

Though they rarely leave their woodland realm, every now and then the rangers, druids, and witches from Alfheim are entrusted with quests that take them from their beloved home. Such is the tale of one of Teal Bluewing’s sojourns.